Business Operations Specialist
Arizona State University
Business Operations Specialist
Business Operations Specialist
The School for Engineering of Matter, Transport and Energy (SEMTE) in the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering is seeking to fill the position of Business Operations Specialist. This position is the first point of contact in the SEMTE Business Office and will be responsible for triaging all inquiries related to operations, purchasing and travel-related items in a high-volume environment. Position will also work closely with School personnel to plan, organize, and coordinate business operations.
Under general supervision, the incumbent will be responsible for performing a variety of daily administrative and financial functions in a complex academic unit with significant research and instructional emphasis. The successful applicant will maintain effective working relationships with faculty, staff, students and vendors as well as handle confidential and sensitive information, use software applications as it applies to position, be skilled in policy and procedures, manage multiple projects simultaneously, work with short deadlines; communicating, participating and encouraging support of an institution’s sustainability programs; and working collaboratively and effectively with faculty and staff in an environment subject to rapidly changing priorities.
Sch Engr Matter Trnsprt Energy
Scope of Search
Grant Funded Position
This is not a grant funded position and is not contingent on future grant funding.
$48,000 - $55,000 per year; DOE
- Process and coordinate school purchasing and travel related items, including purchasing supplies, services and equipment utilizing various purchasing methods (purchasing card, purchase order, SunRISE).
- Process travel requests and expense reports.
- Process employee reimbursements
- Monitor public email folders to ensure all requests are handled in an accurate and timely manner Conduct Pcard verifications & reconciliation.
- Perform other duties as assigned to ensure continual efficient operations of SEMTE to meet customer service needs and reporting requirements.
- Exercise judgment within defined procedures and practices and determines appropriate action.
- May supervise student workers.
Bachelor's degree in a field appropriate to the area of assignment AND three (3) years of related experience; OR, Seven (7) years of related experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Experience providing financial and/or operational support in a higher education environment.
- Knowledgeable of ASU Purchasing policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of ASU Travel Authorizations and Reimbursements.
- Experience handling monthly P-Card reconciliations.
- Experience with university procurement systems (Workday, SunRISE, P-Card).
- Experience working effectively in an environment subject to tight deadlines and quickly changing priorities.
- Experience handling logistical responsibilities, such as scheduling meetings and event planning.
- Experience in a high work volume environment managing multiple tasks and priorities.
- Experience in record keeping and ensuring adherence with policies, practices, and regulations.
- Experience working effectively and collaboratively with faculty, staff and students.
- Experience using Microsoft Office applications (i.e., Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and Outlook) and Adobe Pro.
- Experience in a customer service focused position.
- Evidence of effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Activities are primarily performed in a regular, climate-controlled office setting subject to extended periods of time sitting.
- Visual acuity and manual dexterity associated with daily use of a desktop computer.
- Bending, stooping, reaching and lifting up to 25 pounds.
- Effective communications skills.
- Works from general instruction on standard job duties and specific directions/instructions on new assignments.
The Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering is the largest producer of engineering and technical talent in the nation and seeks to deliver a world-class learning experience for our students and to advance research and innovation – all at scale. We value and emphasize inherently interdisciplinary endeavors that leverage the breadth and depth of expertise among our outstanding faculty, and have built a unique place for large-scale innovation characterized by foundational excellence and translational impacts. We are an engineering school on the rise at the most innovative university in the country and in the heart of the nation’s fifth largest metropolitan area. The scale of our faculty research interests and interdisciplinary mindset, combined with more than 48 graduate degree programs and 25 undergraduate degree programs, provide the foundation for knowledge generation and collaborative opportunities to advance new ideas.
The Fulton Schools of Engineering, located across ASU’s Tempe and Polytechnic campuses, is comprised of seven schools based on academic programs and research areas. Fulton Engineering has a nationally recognized faculty that conducts research, instructs and mentors students, provides service to engineering, computing and technology professions and creates lasting impacts across local and global communities.
The Fulton Schools of Engineering follows a framework of values designed to distinguish our practice and guide daily decisions in our academic, research, corporate engagement and entrepreneurial endeavors. These values influence how we recognize, reward and communicate our achievements. At the Fulton Schools of Engineering, we:
- Cultivate excellence.
- Deliver innovation that matters.
- Encourage bold thinking.
- Foster a community of learning and collaboration.
- Build a foundation for all to be successful.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 100,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit https://wellness.asu.edu/explore-wellness/body/alcohol-and-drugs/tobacco
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU PD at 480-965-3456.
Relocation Assistance – For information about schools, housing child resources, neighborhoods, hospitals, community events, and taxes, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/az-resources.
Employment Verification Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Fingerprint Check Statement
This position is considered safety/security sensitive and will include a fingerprint check. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the fingerprint check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.