Arizona State University
The Design School at the Herberger Intstitute for Design and the Arts is seeking a dynamic Financial Specialist who under general supervision, coordinates the financial functions related to a department(s). These functions include but are not limited to maintaining, monitoring, and tracking expenditures, accounts, internal controls, and other functions designated by the unit administrator. Directly impacts the University goal of increasing research expenditures through the effective management of accounts.
Finance & Accounting
The Design School
Scope of Search
Grant Funded Position
This is not a grant funded position and is not contingent on future grant funding.
$42,412 - $50,000 per year; DOE
- Works closely with unit administration to coordinate financial activities to ensure adherence with unit and university policies, practices and regulations.
- Investigates financial discrepancies and works as a liaison between the unit and financial services to reach a solution.
- Reviews account expenditures in accordance with established financial guidelines and policies.
- Prepares and maintains documentation necessary for audits.
- Prepares journal entries, general ledger expense transfers, payroll redistributions, and account reconciliations.
- Prepares budget adjustments and amendments.
- Reviews requisitions for completeness and accuracy, identify sources, obtain quotes, and negotiate price and terms, issue purchase orders.
- Performs clerical functions with personal computers and appropriate software for various financial processes including data entry, report preparation, and other related functions.
- Maintains financial files consistent with University policies and practices.
- Participates in a variety of departmental, unit, and university-wide initiatives and meetings to represent financial interest and ensure integration/collaborative support of unit and university wide interests.
- Performs other duties as assigned to ensure continual efficient operations of the department to meet customer service needs.
- Performs accounting, budgeting and other financial or related functions as required.
- Assists in the preparation of operational budget, budget projections, prepares analysis of variance reports of assigned areas/units.
- Prepares monthly and quarterly budget status reports of assigned areas/units.
Bachelor's degree in a field appropriate to the area of assignment AND one (1) year of related experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience, and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Demonstrated knowledge of applicable federal, state and regulatory requirements, laws and standards.
- Demonstrated knowledge of quality customer service standards, methods and practices.
- Demonstrated knowledge of basic financial practices, regulations and standards.
- Experience in planning, analyzing and establishing priorities.
- Experience in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships.
- Evidence of effective communication.
- Experience in working effectively in an environment subject to quickly changing priorities, sensitive information and short deadlines.
- Experience in developing and maintaining cooperative working relationships both within and across organizational areas.
- Experience in leading by example in communicating, participating and encouraging support of the institution's sustainability programs.
- Experience in working effectively and collaboratively with faculty and staff.
- Activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding, and manipulating a computer mouse (75%); required to stand for varying lengths of time and walk moderate distances to perform work (10%).
- Infrequent bending, reaching, lifting, pushing and pulling up to 25 pounds (5%).
- Regular activities require ability to quickly change priorities, which may include and/or are subject to resolution of conflicts.
- Ability to clearly communicate perform essential functions;
- Regular use of standard office equipment including, but not limited to: computer workstation/laptop (keyboard, monitor, mouse), printer, fax, calculator, copier, telephone and associated computer/technology peripherals.
The Herberger Institute comprises the School of Art; School of Arts, Media and Engineering; The Sidney Poitier New American Film School; School of Music, Dance and Theatre; The Design School; and the ASU Art Museum. With 130 degree and certificate options, and programs ranked top 20 in art, design, music, theatre, digital culture, film, dance and more, plus a top university art museum, a leading immersive media facility, and national and international partnerships, the Herberger Institute is a powerhouse of art, culture and design.
Our mission is to position designers, artists, scholars and educators at the center of public life and prepare them to use their creative capacities to advance culture, build community and imaginatively address today’s most pressing challenges.
The vision of the Herberger Institute is to advance the New American University by embedding designers, artists and arts-based inquiry at its core and throughout the communities it serves locally, nationally and internationally. With 7,000+ students, mare than 700 faculty members, and 130 program options, the Herberger Institute is committed to redefining the 21st-century design and arts school.
As part of Arizona State University, the most innovative university in the nation, the Herberger Institute seeks to drive and scale new ways for arts and design to have impact in our world. We invite you to join our work.
- Creativity as a core 21st-century competency
- Design and the arts as critical resources for transforming our society
- Innovation, enterprise and entrepreneurship
- Interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary collaboration and research
- Social embeddedness
- Projecting all voices
Why work @ASU - https://cfo.asu.edu/why-work-asu
Total compensation at ASU is defined as more than the salary paid for the valuable work performed to support the success of our ASU students. It includes:
- Salary and wages paid
- Comprehensive package of affordable benefit plans and programs
- Access to world-class educational opportunities at deeply discounted rates
- ASU's total compensation estimator shows the approximate value of your overall compensation
ASU is a diverse enterprise with a wide variety of work and learning modes, locations and a commitment to sustainability, innovation and employee work-life balance. We are determined to maintain our position as an employer of choice in a competitive labor market.
Flexible work options
- Alternative work schedules can include four, 10-hour workdays in a workweek; a nine-day, 80-hour schedule over two workweeks for exempt employees only; and staggered start and stop times.
- Hybrid work is an arrangement where employees spend a minimum of 60% of their regular workweek at their primary ASU work location. Dean or vice president-level approval is required.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 100,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit https://wellness.asu.edu/explore-wellness/body/alcohol-and-drugs/tobacco
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU PD at 480-965-3456.
Relocation Assistance – For information about schools, housing child resources, neighborhoods, hospitals, community events, and taxes, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/az-resources.
Employment Verification Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Fingerprint Check Statement
This position is considered safety/security sensitive and will include a fingerprint check. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the fingerprint check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
IMPORTANT NOTE: What is the meaning of “equivalent combination” in the minimum qualifications? It means one year of higher education or 24 credit hours, is equal to one year of experience. For example, a four year Bachelor’s degree is equal to four years of experience.