Department HR Specialist Sr
Arizona State University
Department HR Specialist Sr
Department HR Specialist Sr
The School of Sustainable Engineering and the Built Environment (SSEBE) is looking for a highly motivated, outgoing, dynamic individual to join our team as a Department HR Specialist, Sr. Under general supervision, this position will manage and perform work of considerable responsibility in administering human resource functions in a complex academic unit with significant research and instructional emphasis. The successful candidate must be skilled in maintaining effective working relationships among a diverse population, skilled in handling confidential and sensitive information, be extremely organized and work effectively in an environment subject to quickly changing priorities.
Sch Sustain Engr & Built Envrn
Scope of Search
Grant Funded Position
This is not a grant funded position and is not contingent on future grant funding.
$52,000 - $62,600 per year; DOE
- Processes a heavy volume of payroll transactions and activities for new and existing employees which includes creating offer letters, position management, terminations, and entering tuition waivers and scholarships.
- Manages the academic and non-academic hires, renewals, and terminations.
- Responsible for graduate student hires and renewals.
- Identifies overpayments/underpayments for appropriate action; processes and approves payroll corrections.
- May assist with the hiring of faculty associates and instructional positions each semester.
- Monitors orientation of new employees and coordinates benefits.
- Assists in managing human resource processes, procedures, internal controls, and payroll quality for SSEBE.
- Coordinates and manages personnel searches including applicant evaluation and hiring.
- Coordinates and processes visa applications for employees and non-employees.
- Assists in overseeing, managing, and participating in internal and external audit requests; prepares audit documents.
- Resolves and investigates payroll discrepancies using reporting tools (Data Warehouse, Analytics, Workday) and works as a liaison between SSEBE, FSE, ASU Human Resources and Financial Services to reach a solution and process needed transactions when applicable.
- Recommends or participates in the development of new procedures or review existing procedures related to payroll operation, then assist in implementing development of documentation.
- May supervise staff and/or student workers.
Bachelor's degree in a field appropriate to the area of assignment AND five (5) years of related administrative experience, OR, Nine (9) years of related administrative experience, OR, Any equivalent combination of experience, and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Experience in high work volume environment managing multiple tasks and priorities; payroll; record keeping; ensuring adherence with policies, practices, and regulations.
- Experience providing HR support in a higher education environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge of electronic data processing as it applies to human resources/fiscal automated applications.
- Experience in planning and establishing priorities.
- Experience in developing and maintaining cooperative working relationships both within and across organizational areas.
- Experience working effectively and collaboratively with faculty, staff, and students.
- Experience using Microsoft Office applications (i.e., Access, Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and Outlook).
- Experience in processing visa applications; conducting recruitment and personnel searches.
- Activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding, and manipulating a computer mouse.
- Visual acuity and manual dexterity associated with daily use of desktop computer.
- Stand for varying lengths of time and walk moderate distances to perform work. Bending, stooping, reaching, and lifting up to 25 pounds.
- Regular activities require ability to quickly change priorities which may include and/or are subject to resolution of conflicts.
- Ability to clearly communicate to perform essential duties.
- Ability to work both independently and within a complex structured team.
- Works from general instruction on standard job duties and specific directions/instructions on new assignments.
- Exercises judgement within defined procedures and practices to determine appropriate action.
The Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering is the largest producer of engineering and technical talent in the nation and seeks to deliver a world-class learning experience for our students and to advance research and innovation – all at scale. We value and emphasize inherently interdisciplinary endeavors that leverage the breadth and depth of expertise among our outstanding faculty, and have built a unique place for large-scale innovation characterized by foundational excellence and translational impacts. We are an engineering school on the rise at the most innovative university in the country and in the heart of the nation’s fifth largest metropolitan area. The scale of our faculty research interests and interdisciplinary mindset, combined with more than 48 graduate degree programs and 25 undergraduate degree programs, provide the foundation for knowledge generation and collaborative opportunities to advance new ideas.
The Fulton Schools of Engineering, located across ASU’s Tempe and Polytechnic campuses, is comprised of seven schools based on academic programs and research areas. Fulton Engineering has a nationally recognized faculty that conducts research, instructs and mentors students, provides service to engineering, computing and technology professions and creates lasting impacts across local and global communities.
The Fulton Schools of Engineering follows a framework of values designed to distinguish our practice and guide daily decisions in our academic, research, corporate engagement and entrepreneurial endeavors. These values influence how we recognize, reward and communicate our achievements. At the Fulton Schools of Engineering, we:
- Cultivate excellence.
- Deliver innovation that matters.
- Encourage bold thinking.
- Foster a community of learning and collaboration.
- Build a foundation for all to be successful.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 100,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit https://wellness.asu.edu/explore-wellness/body/alcohol-and-drugs/tobacco
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU PD at 480-965-3456.
Relocation Assistance – For information about schools, housing child resources, neighborhoods, hospitals, community events, and taxes, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/az-resources.
Employment Verification Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Fingerprint Check Statement
This position is considered safety/security sensitive and will include a fingerprint check. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the fingerprint check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
IMPORTANT NOTE: What is the meaning of “equivalent combination” in the minimum qualifications? It means one year of higher education or 24 credit hours, is equal to one year of experience. For example, a four year Bachelor’s degree is equal to four years of experience.