Research Advancement Admin Sr
Arizona State University
Research Advancement Admin Sr
Research Advancement Admin Sr
The ASU Knowledge Enterprise is seeking an experienced Research Administrator to join its Research Advancement Services (RAS) department at Arizona State University (ASU).
RAS is a central shared services unit that provides support to assigned units across the university, including administrative units (e.g., the ASU Libraries) and academic units (e.g., the School of Sustainability). RAS is a high-functioning team focused on quality customer service, with built-in leadership support and professional development. Joining RAS would provide you a unique career opportunity.
As a proficient Research Advancement Administrator Sr. (RAA Sr.), you will be a part of a collaborative team. You will gain experience with a wide variety of funding agencies and programs, as well as a broad range of research administration topics and issues, operational strategies, and leadership topics and practices.
In this position, you will primarily be responsible for pre-award administration. You will assist investigators on appropriate sponsor guidelines and university policies, fostering a supportive environment. For many proposals, you will work with individual faculty and/or department staff to develop proposals. Additionally, you would also support high-profile proposals, which involve teams of investigators and proposal managers and incorporate multiple subcontractor institutions.
Skills that will make a candidate successful in this position are collaborating with teammates to come up with novel solutions to nonstandard situations; utilizing existing internal and external resources to answer questions; proficiency in commonly used tools for proposal preparation such as navigating sponsor portals, budgeting in Excel and other common budget formats, generating and managing files in Word, PDF, Excel, or PowerPoint; and being able to perform duties with minimal supervision or prompting.
Flexible work options
Alternative work schedules can include staggered start and stop times.
Hybrid work is an arrangement where employees spend a minimum of 60% of their regular workweek at their primary ASU work location. Dean or vice-president-level approval is required.
Remote work is an arrangement where the employee spends less than 60% of their regular workweek at a regularly assigned ASU work location. Executive vice president-level approval is required.
Research Advancement Services
KNOWLEDGE ENTERPRISE DEV
Scope of Search
Grant Funded Position
This is not a grant funded position and is not contingent on future grant funding.
$42,900 - $73,000 per year; DOE
Under general oversight, the RAA Sr. works both independently and as a member of the RAS team to:
- Serve as an administrative resource to ASU investigators and ASU research advancement administrators;
- Interpret sponsor guidelines to ensure ongoing compliance with all applicable regulatory and financial requirements imposed on institutions of higher education;
- Provide RA leadership on standard proposals as well as specialized opportunity proposals (i.e., high-profile, strategic, multi-institution, and/or multi-million dollar initiatives);
- Manage project proposals and applications for sponsored funding, organizing proposal checklists and monitoring progress to keep development and required actions on track;
- Develop administrative components of proposals for a wide variety of funding agencies, including federal sponsors, corporate entities, philanthropic funders, and local governmental agencies;
- Develop project budgets, draft budget justifications, secure internal approvals, liaise with sub-recipients, check proposal documents for compliance, prepare sponsor application packages, and work closely with the Office for Research and Sponsored Projects Administration (ORSPA) for institutional review and submission;
- When required by the sponsor as part of compliant proposal submission, prepare Microsoft Excel spreadsheets involving multiple worksheets and integrated budget summaries;
- Assist with post submission action items requested by the sponsor such as revised budgets, completion of sponsor forms, etc.;
- Utilize & liaise with ASU resources and offices to resolve issues related to cost-sharing, international engagement, subcontracting, etc.;
- Identify specific areas and solutions for process improvement and drafting changes to methods, procedures, and work instructions;
- Develop and maintain working relationships with faculty, researchers, unit personnel, Sponsored Project Office representatives, and members of the ASU Research Advancement Community;
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
Bachelor's degree in a related field. Five years of experience in a field appropriate to the area/unit of assignment OR Any equivalent combination of education and/or experience from which comparable knowledge, skill and abilities have been achieved.
- Demonstrated knowledge of administrative sponsored project proposal development and/or award administration;
- Evidence of effective communication skills with a strong focus on collaboration and a high level of customer service;
- Experiece in understanding stakeholder needs, requirements, and requests;
- Evidence of problem-solving, critical thinking and time management skills;
- Experience in working on multiple deadline-driven projects while producing accurate output;
- Demonstrated knowledge of relevant computer applications: Microsoft Office (i.e., Excel, Outlook, Word, PowerPoint), University grants management systems, University financial management systems, PeopleSoft, Research.gov, Grants.gov, NIH eRA, and other sponsor portals.
- Experience working collaboratively with a team as well as manage workload independently.
- Evidence of Certified Research Administrator (CRA) certification is a plus.
- Activities are primarily performed in a regular and climate controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting.
- Position requires use of office equipment including a desktop computer
- May lift up to 20 pounds
- Ability to communicate to perform essential duties
- Work both independently and within a complex structured team
- Works under supervision
- Receives detailed instructions and works from general instructions on standard job duties, with regular review of completed tasks
For the ninth year in a row, ASU has been named the most innovative school in the nation, recognizing the university's culture of groundbreaking research and partnerships, as well as its commitment to helping students thrive in college and beyond. U.S. News and World Report has named ASU as the most innovative university all eight years the category has existed.
ASU Knowledge Enterprise advances research, innovation, strategic partnerships, entrepreneurship, and international development. Our success arises from solutions-focused, interdisciplinary research; an entrepreneurial approach that is embedded in every school and department; and a commitment to transform society in a positive way. To learn more about how Knowledge Enterprise is a place for your career to grow, visit https://research.asu.edu/about-us/careers.
At Research Advancement Services, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly, we encourage you to apply anyway. We value your unique background and perspective, and you may be just the right candidate for this position or other roles on our team.
Working at ASU has additional perks and OUTSTANDING benefits, which include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; sick leave and holidays; ASU/UA/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to ASU recreation and cultural activities; and more. To estimate the value of your total compensation, please visit https://cfo.asu.edu/compensation-estimator.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 100,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit https://wellness.asu.edu/explore-wellness/body/alcohol-and-drugs/tobacco
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU PD at 480-965-3456.
Relocation Assistance – For information about schools, housing child resources, neighborhoods, hospitals, community events, and taxes, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/az-resources.
Employment Verification Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Fingerprint Check Statement
This position is considered safety/security sensitive and will include a fingerprint check. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the fingerprint check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume and Cover Letter should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
IMPORTANT NOTE: What is the meaning of “equivalent combination” in the minimum qualifications? It means one year of higher education or 24 credit hours, is equal to one year of experience. For example, a four year Bachelor’s degree is equal to four years of experience.