Mental Health Consultant
Arizona State University
Mental Health Consultant
Under administrative direction, uses clinical skills for professional consultation and preventive outreach. Works as a part of ASU Counseling Services team, with offices in University Housing environments. Will serve as an immediate and ongoing postvention response for student or community incidents. Engages with University Housing to offer consultation, outreach, postvention, and training as part of a larger team of consultation and prevention specialists.
Emp Assistance & Counseling
EDUC OUTRCH & STDT SVCS
Scope of Search
Grant Funded Position
This is not a grant funded position and is not contingent on future grant funding.
$66,000 - $72,000 per year; DOE
09-November-2023 is the initial close date. Applications will continue to be accepted and reviewed until filled
- Provides outreach, consultation, and postvention to the campus community, focusing on residential communities.
- Serves as liaison with university departments
- Provides consultation services, training and education to faculty, staff, and university departments.
- Provides training and supervision to clinical trainees.
- Participates in agency program evaluation and research.
- Engages in professional development activities to maintain licensure/certification.
- Provides emergency and/or after hours and on call services as assigned.
- Provides training and supervision to agency trainees.
- Performs additional professional services based on individual skills and interests consistent with agency need.
Master's degree in Counseling, Social Work, or Marriage and Family Therapy; AND one (1) year of experience providing mental health counseling and therapy; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved. Current State of Arizona License in good standing to practice psychotherapy by the Arizona Board of Health Examiners (AZBBHE).
- Evidence of a LPC, LCSW, LMFT, PsyD or PhD independent licensure in Arizona.
- Evidence of a AZBBHE board approved supervisor.
- Experience with preventative outreach, including consultation and presentations to groups.
- Demonstrated knowledge of methods, techniques, and procedures of mental health counseling and related services.
- Experience in crisis assessment, intervention and coordination of emergent care.
- Experience in consultation and outreach.
- Experience in working with diverse populations.
- Evidence of effective communication.
- Experience in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships.
- Work occurs onsite, with office space in University Housing environment, with possibility of traveling onsite to 4 ASU campuses in greater phoenix area.
- Activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding, and manipulating a computer mouse.
- Required to stand for varying lengths of time and walk moderate distances to perform work
- Frequent bending, reaching, lifting, pushing and pulling up to 25 pounds
- Regular activities require ability to quickly change priorities which may include and/or are subject to resolution of conflicts
- Ability to clearly communicate to perform essential functions.
- Regular use of standard office equipment including, but not limited to: computer workstation/laptop (keyboard, monitor, mouse), printer, fax, calculator, copier, telephone and associated computer/technology peripherals;
- Receives periodic review of work activities to ensure adherence to established goals, objectives, and deliverables.
ASU CS has a strong commitment to meeting the needs of diverse people and creating an environment where all
persons feel welcome. The staff of psychologists, social workers, and counselors work with students from a wide
range of theoretical orientations. As the primary mental health care provider for ASU, we are committed to supporting our students' academic goals by providing access and service for all of ASU's students. ASU CS staff are committed to balancing the challenging demands of clinical service provision with a dedication to creating a collaborative environment that provides attention to our own personal wellness and professional development. Arizona State University offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes valuable employee benefits to enhance the total compensation of its staff. This package includes:
- Tuition Reduction Program for staff members, their spouses, and dependents, available on day one.
- Low-cost health, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits available on day one.
- Retirement program designed to promote long-term savings and provide income upon retirement.
- Paid time for volunteer and professional development.
- Wellness program for preventative health education and screenings.
- Disability and leave program for income protection.
- Employee assistance for free and confidential behavioral health services.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 100,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit https://wellness.asu.edu/explore-wellness/body/alcohol-and-drugs/tobacco
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456.
Relocation Assistance – For information about schools, housing child resources, neighborhoods, hospitals, community events, and taxes, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/az-resources.
Employment Verification Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Fingerprint Check Statement
This position is considered safety/security sensitive and will include a fingerprint check. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the fingerprint check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
IMPORTANT NOTE: What is the meaning of “equivalent combination” in the minimum qualifications? It means one year of higher education or 24 credit hours, is equal to one year of experience. For example, a four year Bachelor’s degree is equal to four years of experience.