Groundskeeper Lead - West campus
Arizona State University
Groundskeeper Lead - West campus
Campus: West Valley
Custodial & Grounds
FDM FM West Grounds
EVP BUSINESS & FINANCE
Scope of Search
Grant Funded Position
This is not a grant funded position and is not contingent on future grant funding.
$21.00 per hour or commensurate of experience and education. ASU offers a comprehensive benefits package with the State of Arizona.
17-November-2023 is the initial close date. Applications will continue to be accepted and reviewed each week until the job is filled.
- Maintain grounds and roads e.g. pruning and planting trees/shrubs/flowers, remove debris, hand water, operate and repair irrigation systems; operate and maintain landscaping tools, equipment, street sweepers, tractors and turf mowers.
- Coordinate and assign work to Groundskeepers in the maintenance of shrubs, trees, lawns, planting areas, sprinkler and commercial irrigation systems and area watering lines
- Train and assist in providing orientation to new employees
- Inspect work of personnel and recommend corrective measures to meet established standards
- Maintain labor and cost records and requisitions materials, supplies and equipment as required
- Operate large power and field mowers, hand tools, high pressure power washer, stake bed truck and large vehicles associated with grounds maintenance and landscaping activities
- Schedule and coordinate irrigation and watering activities as required in assigned areas of the campus
- Trim and prune a variety of trees and shrubs
- Operate a boom truck to trim trees
- Pick up litter and empty outdoor trash/recycling cans
- Spray for weeds and insects using unrestricted chemicals as required
- Perform minor maintenance and repair on equipment (i.e. street sweepers, tractors, turf mowers and gators/carts) and power and non-power tools as required
- Assist in the maintenance of roads, road signage, parking lots and other surfaces including asphalt repairs
- Perform maintenance, and install/remove outdoor signage
- Communicate to perform essential functions
- Utilizing a high pressure power washer
- Driving large stake bed truck
- Customer service
- Grounds maintenance in a university/higher education setting
- Competition Field turf maintenance
- Irrigation repair
- Plant knowledge
- Planting shrubs and trees
- Driving riding mowers
- Principles of horticulture
- Activities regularly require long periods of exposure to external elements indigenous to a desert environment, weather, potential exposure to venomous insects, insecticides, herbicides and fertilizers.
- Regularly required to operate a variety of landscaping equipment, tools and machines requiring extended periods of walking over uneven and occasionally rocky surfaces, stooping, bending, reaching, lifting and pushing objects of varying weights up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to clearly communicate to perform essential functions.
- Regular use of mowers, trimmers, edgers, shears, spreaders, hoses, hand and power tools/machines.
- May regularly operate a motor vehicle as assigned.
- This position receives regular review of daily work tasks to ensure adherence with established standards for quality, aesthetics, and quantity.
- Stand for long periods of time.
- Walk and inspect campus.
- This position requires the use of hearing protection.
ASU Facilities Development and Management (FDM) maintains and services all university-owned property, and develops and constructs innovative and sustainable facilities. FDM’s vision is to contribute to and guarantee the success of the university’s mission by creating and caring for the ASU campus and environment. We provide quality customer service, effectively steward our resources, and meet the needs of the university through creative and collaborative efforts.
ASU offers a comprehensive benefits package at very competitive rates to enhance the total compensation of its faculty and staff. This package includes low-cost health and life benefits to insure you and your family, a wellness program for preventative health education and screenings, a disability and leaves program for income protection, employee assistance for free and confidential behavioral health services, access to world-class educational opportunities at deeply discounted rates, disability resources for Americans with Disabilities (ADA), a retirement program with a variety of retiree benefits to ensure your financial security at the end of your career, paid vacation and holidays – and more. For more information, please visit the Office of Human Resources, Benefits website, at https://cfo.asu.edu/benefits
ASU’s comprehensive benefits package is a significant part of your overall total compensation – and ASU pays for most of it when you are a benefits-eligible employee. https://cfo.asu.edu/compensation-estimator
For more reasons to join ASU, please visit: https://cfo.asu.edu/why-work-asu
Facilities Development and Management at ASU employment requires current eligibility to legally work in the United States. Facilities Development and Management will not be a sponsor for this position.
Must possess a valid Arizona driver's license (minimum of Class D) upon employment and maintain throughout employment. Post-offer of employment, selected candidate must possess an acceptable driving record which is 5 or fewer points in the most recent 39 month period from date of hire.
This position is dependent on the continuation of funding from a specific source other than state appropriations. As such, this appointment may terminate when the funding is no longer available.
This position is located at the West campus, 4701 W. Thunderbird Road, Glendale, AZ.
Must pass pre-employment audiogram exam post offer of employment.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 100,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit https://wellness.asu.edu/explore-wellness/body/alcohol-and-drugs/tobacco
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU PD at 480-965-3456.
Relocation Assistance – For information about schools, housing child resources, neighborhoods, hospitals, community events, and taxes, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/az-resources.
Employment Verification Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
Work reference history information for 3 current and/or former supervisors will be requested at time of interview.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
IMPORTANT NOTE: What is the meaning of “equivalent combination” in the minimum qualifications? It means one year of higher education or 24 credit hours, is equal to one year of experience. For example, a four year Bachelor’s degree is equal to four years of experience.