Web Application Developer
Arizona State University
Web Application Developer
Campus: Downtown Phoenix
Web Application Developer (IT)
The Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law at Arizona State University’s Downtown Phoenix campus seeks a team-oriented individual to join its strategic marketing and communications team as a Web Application Developer. The successful candidate will work independently and collaboratively on the college's website (law.asu.edu) using Drupal, microsites, and WordPress sites. Ideal candidates are resourceful and ambitious with an eager-to-learn attitude. This role reports directly to ASU Law's Director of Marketing.
Works closely and collaboratively with the team to design, create, develop, enhance and maintain web content, tools, functionality and format based on requests to ensure consistency in content in accordance with established standards, guidelines, and best practice methods. Establishes and fosters relationships with ASU Enterprise Technology, Brand Strategy & Management Team and law school IT department to ensure web compliance and brand standards and collaborates closely with a web content editor in support of law school web properties and content management.
College Of Law
VP/EXEC VICE PROV DPC
Scope of Search
Grant Funded Position
This is not a grant funded position and is not contingent on future grant funding.
$65,000 - $77,500 per year; DOE
- Develops, deploys and maintains web content, forms, menus, tools and widgets, and dynamic areas within website in order to create a personalized and engaging user experience.
- Ensures compliance with established ASU and law school web standards and brand guidelines.
- Ensures cross-browser, cross-platform, and/or cross device compatibility.
- Works closely with IT to understand any requirements, integration, and/or security needs for public-facing and private portals/microsites.
- Makes consultative recommendations for continued enhancements to web layout, content, and informational areas; prepares site maps, site audits, and tests functionality of new enhancements to ensure marketing objectives are achieved.
- Participates in a wide variety of digital marketing activities designed to optimize the end-user experience on the web (i.e. search engine optimization, RSS news feeds, social media feeds, event feeds, interactive graphics, streaming media, video, etc.).
- Creates WordPress site templates and provides technical support to internal stakeholders who maintain these sites; plays a bigger role in the maintenance of college-level external WordPress sites.
- Identifies and troubleshoots errors and/or problems with web-based content and applications; utilizes university technology resources and works collaboratively with involved stakeholders to facilitate timely resolutions.
- Effectively communicates with team members, internal clients and stakeholders.
- Remains abreast of technology directions, initiatives and trends within scope of expertise to provide ideas, guidance and recommendations.
- Uses modules for Drupal and plugins for WordPress.
- Prepares training materials and associated documentation.
- Physical presence at the workplace is an essential function or requirement of this job.
- Performs other duties as assigned to support the goals of the department and college.
Bachelor's degree in Information Technology, Computer Science or closely related field AND 3 years web and database experience which includes creating and updating table structures and views as well as CSS development; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Demonstrated knowledge of web application and relational database design concepts, principles, practices and methods; security/permission standards; knowledge of store procedure methods and techniques.
- Experience with WordPress and Drupal
- Experience with Drupal development
- Demonstrated knowledge of WordPress custom theme and plugin development
- Demonstrated knowledge of GA4 and SEO best practices
- Experience with HTML5, CSS3, Git and GitHub, databases and SQL
- Knowledge of web-based applications and associated database requirements.
- Experience with web accessibility practices for WCAG 2.1 compliance
- Current on secure web programming techniques
- Activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding, and manipulating a computer mouse.
- Required to stand for varying lengths of time and walk moderate distances to perform work.
- Frequent bending, reaching, lifting, pushing and pulling up to 25 pounds.
- Regular activities require ability to quickly change priorities which may include and/or are subject to resolution of conflicts.
- Ability to clearly communicate to perform essential functions.
- Use standard office equipment including, but not limited to: computer workstation/laptop (keyboard, monitor and mouse), printer, fax, calculator, copier, telephone and associated computer/technology peripherals.
The Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law at Arizona State University is one of the nation’s preeminent law schools, focused on offering students a personalized legal education. Ranked No. 1 in Arizona since 2010 and No. 32 nationally by U.S. News & World Report, ASU Law offers students the opportunity to tailor their education, to match externships to their interests and career services resources to help land their ideal jobs. Additionally, ASU Law’s LEED Gold certified building in downtown Phoenix is steps away from the legal, political and economic heart of Arizona. For more information, visit law.asu.edu.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 100,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit https://wellness.asu.edu/explore-wellness/body/alcohol-and-drugs/tobacco
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU PD at 480-965-3456.
Relocation Assistance – For information about schools, housing child resources, neighborhoods, hospitals, community events, and taxes, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/az-resources.
Employment Verification Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
IMPORTANT NOTE: What is the meaning of “equivalent combination” in the minimum qualifications? It means one year of higher education or 24 credit hours, is equal to one year of experience. For example, a four year Bachelor’s degree is equal to four years of experience.