Communications Specialist, Internal
Arizona State University
Communications Specialist, Internal
Arizona State University Knowledge Enterprise is looking for a versatile writer to join our Strategic Marketing and Communications Team. The primary focus will be internal communications, with a secondary focus on other copywriting projects as needed.
It’s an exciting time to be at ASU! Our research enterprise, managed by Knowledge Enterprise, has grown more than six times over in the past 20 years. Today, more than 1,400 Knowledge Enterprise employees manage a nearly $1B research portfolio supporting the high-impact work of more than 4,000 research faculty and staff.
Are you a wordsmith with a passion for making a difference? We’re on the hunt for a talented communicator to craft engaging and informative content that helps keep our many employees — in Arizona, across the U.S. and around the world — informed, inspired and engaged. Through strategic and compelling content, you’ll help bring ASU’s charter, mission and values to life. You’ll also flex your writing skills to provide expert copywriting, thoughtful editing and eagle-eyed proofreading for various projects, including website content, marketing materials, news announcements and more.
Our communications specialist will collaborate closely with other members of the marketing and communications team, KE human resources, KE leadership and communicators across the university.
*Please submit two writing samples with your application.
Publicity & Promotion
Strategic Marketing and Comms
KNOWLEDGE ENTERPRISE DEV
Scope of Search
Grant Funded Position
This is not a grant funded position and is not contingent on future grant funding.
$49,133 - $63,874 per year, DOE
- Collaborate with the KE marketing and HR teams to identify internal communications gaps and opportunities and develop strategies to address them.
- Provide comprehensive communications support to KE human resources and KE leadership through the creation of various digital and printed materials.
- Develop, manage and produce e-newsletters with a set frequency to keep employees informed and engaged.
- Create and curate content for the KE employee intranet site, ensuring it serves as a valuable resource for the intended audience.
- Work closely with cross-functional teams — including marketing, writing, design, video, photography and social media — to develop, coordinate and disseminate creative communications that align with researcher discoveries, KE’s mission and goals and more.
- Assist with copywriting and proofreading tasks as needed, including website copy, marketing collaterals, news stories and more.
Bachelor's degree in Journalism, English, Communications, Marketing, Education or a related field AND three (3) years of related work experience in the development of comprehensive and creative communication; OR seven (7) years of related work experience; OR Any equivalent combination of experience and or education from which comparable knowledge, skills, and abilities have been achieved. Certificates from recognized programs that verify mastery of tools and techniques relevant to the assignment may substitute for up to six (6) months of experience.
- Experience in developing effective internal communications plans.
- Demonstrated ability to write engaging, easy-to-understand content.
- Meticulous editing and proofreading skills, including experience following a writing style guide. Knowledge of AP style a plus.
- Experience collaborating with a comprehensive marketing and communications team.
- Experience working with Microsoft SharePoint or other collaborative web platforms.
- Experience working with Salesforce Marketing Cloud or other email marketing platforms.
- Experience working with WordPress or other content management platforms.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and prioritize effectively to meet deadlines.
- Ability to communicate with clients and leadership in a professional, service-oriented manner.
- Experience using data to drive content and evaluate effectiveness.
ASU is a diverse enterprise with a wide variety of work and learning modes, locations, and a commitment to sustainability, innovation, and employee work-life balance. We are determined to maintain our position as an employer of choice in a competitive labor market, as such the following options may be offered dependent on department needs:
Flexible work options:
- Alternative work schedules can include four, 10-hour workdays in a workweek; a nine-day, 80-hour schedule over two workweeks for exempt employees only; and staggered start and stop times.
- Hybrid work is an arrangement where employees spend a minimum of 60% of their regular workweek at their primary ASU work location. Dean or vice president-level approval is required.
- Remote work is an arrangement where the employee spends less than 60% of their regular workweek at a regularly assigned ASU work location. Executive vice president-level approval is required.
Standard Working Environment:
- Climate-controlled office setting subject to extended periods of being in a stationary position.
- Constantly detects and operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine and computer printer.
- Ability to clearly communicate and exchange accurate information to perform essential duties.
- Expected to be responsive to customers, engaged in work production, resourceful, flexible, and respectful of others.
For the ninth year in a row, ASU has been named the most innovative school in the nation, recognizing the university's culture of groundbreaking research and partnerships, as well as its commitment to helping students thrive in college and beyond. U.S. News and World Report has named ASU as the most innovative university all eight years the category has existed.
ASU Knowledge Enterprise advances research, innovation, strategic partnerships, entrepreneurship, and international development. Our success arises from solutions-focused, interdisciplinary research; an entrepreneurial approach that is embedded in every school and department; and a commitment to transform society in a positive way. To learn more about how Knowledge Enterprise is a place for your career to grow, visit https://research.asu.edu/about-us/careers.
At Knowledge Enterprise, Strategic Marketing and Communications, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly, we encourage you to apply anyway. We value your unique background and perspective, and you may be just the right candidate for this position or other roles on our team.
Working at ASU has additional perks and OUTSTANDING benefits, which include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; sick leave and holidays; ASU/UA/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to ASU recreation and cultural activities; and more. To estimate the value of your total compensation, please visit https://cfo.asu.edu/compensation-estimator.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 100,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit https://wellness.asu.edu/explore-wellness/body/alcohol-and-drugs/tobacco
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456.
Relocation Assistance – For information about schools, housing child resources, neighborhoods, hospitals, community events, and taxes, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/relocation-services.
Employment Verification Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume and cover letter should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
IMPORTANT NOTE: What is the meaning of “equivalent combination” in the minimum qualifications? It means one year of higher education or 24 credit hours, is equal to one year of experience. For example, a four year Bachelor’s degree is equal to four years of experience.