Arizona State University
Campus: West Valley
The New College of Interdisciplinary Arts & Sciences seeks a qualified individual to assist students through the application and admission process. Under general guidance, the Admission Specialist will assist students by providing relevant information about ASU, New College graduate programs, and the student experience. This individual will be a key contributor to increasing student enrollment in New College graduate programs at the West Valley campus.
Advising & Admissions
Scope of Search
Grant Funded Position
This is not a grant funded position and is not contingent on future grant funding.
$47,000 - $50,000 per year, DOE
- Provides information to prospective graduate students related to New College graduate degree programs, admission requirements, the application process, Graduate, ASU policies and procedures, and various student resources
- Assists domestic and international prospective students from the first point of contact with New College until the time of enrollment in their degree programs
- Guides the student based on their questions, interests, and academic and career goals to ensure they have the information and resources to make informed decisions
- Communicates with students through phone calls, emails, and virtual and in-person appointments; responds to student inquiries in a timely manner; maintains regular outreach to prospective students; follows up with students when necessary
- Attends ASU and community events to increase New College graduate program and West Valley awareness
- Gives presentations in workshops, information sessions, and events that concern applying to and attending ASU, New College, and graduate programs
- Acts as college/department liaison to prospective students, faculty, staff, and external groups on issues related to graduate program admission
- While working under limited or minimal supervision, exercises efficient time-management, appropriately prioritizes tasks and responsibilities, and uses critical thinking to solve problems
- Works collaboratively and collegially with academic units and services throughout the university to facilitate comprehensive student support
- Maintains student files and records on computer-based databases
- Utilizes a variety of university data and programmatic direction to better assist recruitment, admission, and enrollment efforts
- Collaborates with New College internal and external partners to promote programs
- Assists with academic program development and implementation
- Other duties as assigned
High School Diploma and three (3) years experience in an office environment with high volume; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience, and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Evidence of a Master’s degree OR a Bachelor’s degree and relevant professional experience
- Demonstrated knowledge of principles, practices, and procedures related to higher education
- Demonstrated knowledge of academic programs, colleges, and departments in a university setting
- Experience in working with university students at graduate or undergraduate level
- Experience in the use of internet-based research tools and Microsoft Office Suite computer applications, especially Excel
- Experience in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with peers, faculty, students, administration, and other interested parties
- Experience in providing thorough and complete attention to detail, following multi-stepped processes, and maintaining accurate records
- Experience in working effectively in an environment subject to quickly changing priorities
- Evidence of effectuve communication skills
- Experience in public speaking and presenting to diverse audiences
- Experience in interpreting student needs and determining when referral to other university resources is appropriate
Activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding and manipulating a computer mouse; frequently required to stand for varying lengths of time and walk moderate distances to perform work. Occasional bending, reaching, lifting, pushing and pulling up to 25 pounds. Regular activities require ability to quickly change priorities which may include and/or are subject to resolution of conflicts. Ability to clearly communicate to perform essential functions.
Bringing together the best of both a small-college experience with its close personal relationships and a top-tier research university with its cutting-edge research faculty ASU is New College of Interdisciplinary Arts and Sciences located at the beautiful West campus is nationally unique. Working across old disciplinary boundaries, our faculty produce innovative research, not just report on it. We take our students with us on this fascinating journey, which provides extraordinary opportunities for growth and exciting ways to shape your future.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 100,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit https://wellness.asu.edu/explore-wellness/body/alcohol-and-drugs/tobacco
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456.
Relocation Assistance – For information about schools, housing child resources, neighborhoods, hospitals, community events, and taxes, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/relocation-services.
Employment Verification Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
IMPORTANT NOTE: What is the meaning of “equivalent combination” in the minimum qualifications? It means one year of higher education or 24 credit hours, is equal to one year of experience. For example, a four year Bachelor’s degree is equal to four years of experience.