Director, West Valley Campus Strategic Enrollment Initiatives
Arizona State University
Director, West Valley Campus Strategic Enrollment Initiatives
Campus: West Valley
At Arizona State University, we measure ourselves not by whom we exclude, but rather by whom we include and how they succeed. In Admission Services, we are passionate about helping students find their right university fit and working together as a team to achieve our enrollment goals. If you are solution-oriented, love helping people, believe in the transformative power of higher education and enjoy working in a fast-paced environment, then you will thrive in Admission Services.
As a member of the Admission Services lead recruitment team, under the direction of the Senior Director of Recruitment, this person will serve as a key liaison throughout the West Valley campus and community to develop and enhance enrollment initiatives. In this role, the appointee will have university-wide exposure to ASU West Valley’s key stakeholders and leadership and drive innovative and impactful enrollment strategies towards meeting the goals of West valley education attainment goals across multiple populations. The ideal candidate is someone who is compelled by the ASU Charter. They believe that innovation in higher education is possible when an institution places students at the center of their operations and strategy. The ideal candidate must have a reputation for proactive and quick problem solving, ability to work both independently and in team settings, diplomacy, and an ability to focus on objectives in an environment where projects compete for priority. In addition, the Director must have expert project management and organizational skills, as well as a track record for managing operations, internal communications, and/or special projects. The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate the persistent ability to work through challenges, follow through with projects to drive outcomes and understand the pressures associated with the demands of our work.
The focus of this job is on achieving results which are aligned with the larger picture of the organization and its strategic goals. Initiative, coupled with a sense of competitive drive, and the ability to stay focused on results despite changing conditions, is the key to achieving the performance objectives of this job. Because environmental and organizational conditions change rapidly, the work involves innovation and creativity in generating ideas for quick response. Decision-making is focused on implementing practical, timely solutions. The job requires getting things done quickly and handling a variety of activities. Self-assurance, and the confidence to purposely drive toward results while constantly problem-solving and engaging the commitment of others is essential. A leadership style that is firm and goal oriented, and yet motivates, trains, and engages others in an enthusiastic way is important. The emphasis on building rapport and relationships with individuals and groups requires an outgoing, poised and persuasive communication style. Because the pace of the work is faster than average, the ability to learn quickly and thoroughly while continually recognizing and adapting to changing conditions is critical. The scope of the job may require effective delegation to proven people. Especially routine and repetitive details should be delegated but with responsibility for follow up and accountability for timely results. While the job requires the ability to act independently, a sense of urgency and the confidence to handle a variety of challenges, a full commitment to the success of the business and high standards of achievement are expected in this position. The emphasis is on results, and effective systems that achieve results through and with people, rather than on the details of implementation. The job environment is flexible, constantly changing and provides growth opportunity, recognition and reward for the achievement of business results.
Scope of Search
Grant Funded Position
This is not a grant funded position and is not contingent on future grant funding.
$85,000 per year
- Implements strategies to the assigned market, develops strong relationships with prospective students and their family members, counsels and confers with students interpreting and providing program procedures, policies, goals and objectives through phone contact, a variety of electronic media, and face-to-face meetings to ensure a seamless transition to university.
- Represents Admission Services and serves on various department and university committees and maintains relationships with university partners for coordinated recruitment and enrollment strategies.
- Plans, develops, implements, and manages a project team through complete task definitions and work requirement identification and assignments
- Works closely and collaboratively with key stakeholders to define project scope, strategy, budget, and outcomes; identifies critical resource expertise and targets appropriate internal and/or external sources to ensure optimal outcome(s).
- Leads recruitment team progress towards goals, assigned tasks and duties, and conducts corrective action as required.
- Serves as representative for assigned territories and participates in select recruitment trips as necessary.
- Develops, maintains, and implements department policies and procedures.
- Proactively utilizes data from multiple sources (ASU data, College Board, ACT and others) to make strategic and efficient decisions about university outreach and recruitment.
Bachelor's degree in a field appropriate to the area of assignment AND eight (8) years of related administrative experience, which includes five (5) years of supervisory experience; OR, Twelve (12) years of related administrative experience, which includes five (5) years of supervisory experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of education and/or experience from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Experience in higher education recruitment practices and principles.
- Experience in principles, practices, and methods of admissions, marketing and enrollment.
- Experience promoting and marketing venues and events.
- Experience coordinating large scale events, programs and recruitment campaigns.
- Experience with effective management and supervisory practices.
- Experience in developing and maintaining effective working relationships
- Experience in strategic planning and decision-making principles and procedures.
- Activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding and manipulating a computer mouse.
- Frequently required to stand for varying lengths of time and walk moderate distances to perform work.
- Frequent bending, reaching, lifting, pushing and pulling up to 25 pounds.
- Regular activities require ability to quickly change priorities which may include and/or are subject to resolution of conflicts.
- Communicate to perform essential functions.
- Frequent travel, involving operation of a motor vehicle.
- Regular use of standard office equipment including, but not limited to: computer workstation/laptop (keyboard, monitor, mouse), printer, fax, calculator, copier, telephone and associated computer/technology peripherals.
- This position receives regular review of objectives.
- Occasional evenings and weekends are expected.
In support of the university’s mission and goals, Academic Enterprise Enrollment creates, promotes and institutionalizes the broadest possible awareness of ASU as the New American University by utilizing a variety of data-informed strategies to enroll a diverse student population representative of the vision of Arizona State University. AEE brings discipline to the formulation of enrollment strategy and the refinement of enrollment processes, and is an effective collaborator with our college and school colleagues and other enrollment partners within the Academic Enterprise, Knowledge Enterprise and Learning Enterprise. AEE is comprised of the following units: Academic Enterprise Communications; Admission Services; Financial Aid and Scholarship Services; University Registrar Service; the Pat Tillman Veterans Center; and the International Student and Scholar Center.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 100,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit https://wellness.asu.edu/explore-wellness/body/alcohol-and-drugs/tobacco
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456.
Relocation Assistance – For information about schools, housing child resources, neighborhoods, hospitals, community events, and taxes, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/relocation-services.
Employment Verification Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Fingerprint Check Statement
This position is considered safety/security sensitive and will include a fingerprint check. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the fingerprint check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
IMPORTANT NOTE: What is the meaning of “equivalent combination” in the minimum qualifications? It means one year of higher education or 24 credit hours, is equal to one year of experience. For example, a four year Bachelor’s degree is equal to four years of experience.