Research Analyst Assistant
Arizona State University
Research Analyst Assistant
Research Analyst Assistant
The Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter Camera (LROC) Science Operations Center (SOC) is looking for a technically skilled, organized, and motivated team member to monitor, document, and assist efforts to support upcoming lunar landings. Additionally, this position will support the LROC SOC with product generation, mapping, and data analysis efforts for the Reduced Data Record (RDR) manager, the PI, and the SOC manager.
Research & Laboratory
Lunar Recon Orbiter Sci Ops Cn
Scope of Search
Grant Funded Position
This is a grant funded position. Continuation is contingent on future grant funding.
$42,000 - $47,000 per year; DOE
Landing Site Support Duties
- Be the point of contact (POC) with the NASA CLPS POC and members of the LROC team
- Monitor current state of LROC CLPS support and other landing site products and observations
- Maintain internal wiki and shapefiles tracking current and retired landing sites
- Generate monthly report on landing site observations
- Generate reports and visualizations for landing-site-related reduced data records as requested
- Assist with updating Lunaserv Web Mapping Service (WMS) layers
- Generate printable map sheets of high-interest regions, including landing sites
- Assist with papers, reports, presentations, and data organization as needed
- Write scripts to generate, analyze, and visualize data associated with LROC-derived products
- Perform other duties as assigned by the RDR manager, the PI, and the SOC manager
Bachelor's degree in a field related to area of assignment AND one year of related experience; OR, Any equivalency combination of education and or experience from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Evidence of effective and professional communication skills (written and oral)
- Familiarity with a scripting language (bash, python, ruby, etc.)
- Familiarity with GIS software (ArcGIS or QGIS)
- Experience with data organization and analysis
- Experience in using data visualizations skills
- Experience with tasks requiring high attention to detail, thorough work
- Ability to work and solve problems independently
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Bonus points for: Familiarity with Adobe Products (Illustrator, Photoshop); Experience with database queries; Degree in planetary science or related field (GIS, geology, astronomy).
- Sit or stand for prolonged periods of time.
- Use computers effectively including inputting, reviewing and retrieving information, extended periods of viewing screen and using mouse and keyboard.
- Work in an office setting and use office equipment (e.g. printers, copiers, fax machines, telephones).
The Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter Camera (LROC) is the imaging system on board NASA’s Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter. LROC is managed and controlled from its location on the ASU Tempe Campus. It is collecting data and doing ground breaking research that is fundamentally transforming our understanding of the Moon while trailblazing a path for future lunar exploration. LROC is uncovering much needed information about potential landing sites, location of important lunar resources and new scientific discoveries. We welcome a diverse pool of candidates to apply for our positions. We are committed to fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment in which all employees feel supported and have the opportunity to succeed.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 100,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit https://wellness.asu.edu/explore-wellness/body/alcohol-and-drugs/tobacco
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU PD at 480-965-3456.
Relocation Assistance – For information about schools, housing child resources, neighborhoods, hospitals, community events, and taxes, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/az-resources.
Employment Verification Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
IMPORTANT NOTE: What is the meaning of “equivalent combination” in the minimum qualifications? It means one year of higher education or 24 credit hours, is equal to one year of experience. For example, a four year Bachelor’s degree is equal to four years of experience.