Materials Handler (Residential Facilities) - Tempe campus
Arizona State University
Materials Handler (Residential Facilities) - Tempe campus
Facilities Management, Residential Facilities, seeks a Materials Handler to perform manual and clerical duties related to moving, fixing/adjusting, shipping, receiving, inspecting, storing, issuing, and delivering a variety of materials, furniture, equipment, and supplies.
Looking for an employer that offers you solid growth opportunities, as well as an inclusive culture and work/life balance? ASU offers the following employee benefits to enhance the total compensation of its staff:
- Flexible work schedules
- 22 days of vacation leave, 12 days of sick leave and 10 paid holidays annually for all staff
- World-class educational opportunities at deeply discounted rates for employees and eligible family members through its employee tuition reduction program
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave following the birth or adoption of a child
- Comprehensive and very affordable benefits package including dental, vision, and life insurance benefits.
- Retirement program designed to promote long-term savings and provide income upon retirement which includes Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS)
- Paid time for volunteer and professional development
- Wellness program for preventative health education and screenings
- Disability and leave program for income protection
- Free and confidential Employee Assistance services, helping to manage personal difficulties or life challenges
- ASU Discounts to sports/events along with discounts with ASU partnerships
Procurement & Stores
FDM FM Residential Fac SS
EVP BUSINESS & FINANCE
Scope of Search
Grant Funded Position
This is not a grant funded position and is not contingent on future grant funding.
$20.24 per hour. ASU offers a comprehensive benefits package with the State of Arizona.
19-January-2024 is the initial close date. Applications will continue to be accepted and reviewed every week until filled.
- Move, stage, and organize furniture, appliances, equipment, and supplies in support of the residential facilities operations.
- Perform general repairs and maintenance on furniture and moving equipment.
- Work in residence halls, apartments, and houses interacting with building occupants.
- Count, weigh, and/or measure incoming and outgoing items to compare identifying information against bills of lading, invoices, orders, or other records.
- Participate in routing, counting, and inspecting items while loading and unloading trucks.
- Examine incoming shipments for damage or shortages.
- Transport high dollar cost equipment, office supplies, and furniture to customers.
- Secure cargo properly and safely with weight evenly distributed.
- Assist with modular (system) furniture installation and office moves.
- Resolve problems utilizing knowledge of moving, receiving, and stock operations.
- Participate in inventory control for assets.
- Recommend additions or deletions to standard stock items or ordering replenishments within established procedures and limits.
- Clearly and effectively communicate electronically using both text messaging and email.
- Keep a positive outlook in a challenging environment.
- Provide positive leadership and a good example to team.
- Build positive relationships with customers, coworkers and management.
- Clearly communicate to perform essential functions of the job.
- Drive University vehicle.
DAYS AND SCHEDULE: Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
One year of shipping/receiving experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved. Employee is required to possess a Class D Driver’s license throughout employment. Some positions may require state certification in forklift operation.
- delivering equipment, furniture, appliances, and/or supplies
- modular (e.g. systems) furniture installation
- office moves
- repairing furniture
- loading and unloading trucks and securing loads
- customer service and team interaction
Demonstrated knowledge of:
- Microsoft Office software
- forklift certification
- effective communication skills
- Drive University vehicles
- Operate material handling equipment such as forklifts, box trucks, lift gates, pallet jacks, hand trucks, or dollies to move stock, furniture, or reorganize storage.
- Utilize hand tools (e.g. screw drivers, pliers, wrenches, socket wrenches, drills and power tools)
- Utilize computerized or automated systems to accomplish tasks (e.g. MS office).
- Lift, bend, and carry up to 90 pounds
- Climb ladders and stairs
- Wear personal protective equipment (safety glasses, gloves, etc.)
- Work with team members, prioritize assignments, work within guidelines
ASU Facilities Development and Management (FDM) maintains and services all university-owned property, and develops and constructs innovative and sustainable facilities. FDM’s vision is to contribute to and guarantee the success of the university’s mission by creating and caring for the ASU campus and environment. We provide quality customer service, effectively steward our resources, and meet the needs of the university through creative and collaborative efforts.
Facilities Development and Management at ASU employment requires current eligibility to legally work in the United States. Facilities Development and Management will not be a sponsor for this position.
This position is located at the Central Plant South Facility, 1601 S McAllister Ave, Tempe, AZ.
Must possess a valid Arizona driver's license (minimum of Class D) upon employment and maintain throughout employment. Post-offer of employment, selected candidate must possess an acceptable driving record which is 5 or fewer points in the most recent 39 month period from date of hire.
Must pass pre-employment physical examination post offer of employment.
Must possess fork lift certification, or be able to obtain, within six months of employment.
This position is dependent on the continuation of funding from a specific source other than general operating funds. As such, this appointment may terminate when the funding is no longer available.
This position requires working a rotating on-call/stand-by schedule and may be called in for emergency response including nights, weekends, and holidays.
This position is considered safety/security sensitive and will include a fingerprint check. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of all background, including fingerprint checks.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 100,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit https://wellness.asu.edu/explore-wellness/body/alcohol-and-drugs/tobacco
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU PD at 480-965-3456.
Relocation Assistance – For information about schools, housing child resources, neighborhoods, hospitals, community events, and taxes, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/az-resources.
Employment Verification Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Fingerprint Check Statement
This position is considered safety/security sensitive and will include a fingerprint check. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the fingerprint check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
Work reference history information for 3 current and/or former supervisors will be requested at time of interview.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
IMPORTANT NOTE: What is the meaning of “equivalent combination” in the minimum qualifications? It means one year of higher education or 24 credit hours, is equal to one year of experience. For example, a four year Bachelor’s degree is equal to four years of experience.