General Maintenance Mechanic- Residential Facilities (Polytechnic campus)
Arizona State University
General Maintenance Mechanic- Residential Facilities (Polytechnic campus)
General Maintenance Mechanic
Facilities Management, Polytechnic campus, seeks a General Maintenance Mechanic experienced in commercial/industrial general maintenance of residence halls and multi-unit housing. Perform residential unit turns for new occupants.
Looking for an employer that offers you solid growth opportunities, as well as an inclusive culture and work/life balance? ASU offers the following employee benefits to enhance the total compensation of its staff:
- Flexible work schedules
- 22 days of vacation leave, 12 days of sick leave and 10 paid holidays annually for all staff
- World-class educational opportunities at deeply discounted rates for employees and eligible family members through its employee tuition reduction program
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave following the birth or adoption of a child
- Comprehensive and very affordable benefits package including dental, vision, and life insurance benefits.
- Retirement program designed to promote long-term savings and provide income upon retirement which includes Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS)
- Paid time for volunteer and professional development
- Wellness program for preventative health education and screenings
- Disability and leave program for income protection
- Free and confidential Employee Assistance services, helping to manage personal difficulties or life challenges
- ASU Discounts to sports/events along with discounts with ASU partnerships
Building & Equipment Maint
FDM FM Polytechnic Res Fac
EVP BUSINESS & FINANCE
Scope of Search
Grant Funded Position
This is not a grant funded position and is not contingent on future grant funding.
$21.49 per hour. ASU offers a comprehensive benefits package with the State of Arizona.
24- January- 2024 is the initial close date. Applications will continue to be accepted and reviewed each week until the job is filled.
- Perform “make ready” room and single family house turns.
- Perform electrical maintenance of 120/277 volt lighting, including replacing lamps, ballasts, tombstones, light switches and receptacles.
- Check circuit breakers and trace circuits. Perform electrical troubleshooting utilizing a fluke meter, multi-meter and volt detector.
- Provide plumbing and bath/washroom maintenance, including the repair and/or maintenance of flushometers, toilets, urinals, faucets, waste and drains.
- Repair and maintain restroom partitions and hardware.
- Install residential carpet.
- Maintain and/or repair auto door closers, doors, interior/exterior door frames, windows, all types of flooring, suspended ceiling systems, roofs repairs, drywall, cabinet and office furniture. Install assorted bulletin boards, pictures, plaques and clocks.
- Maintain and repair kitchen appliances (i.e. refrigerators, gas/electric stoves, dishwashers, range hoods).
- Paint interior and exterior walls, and perform drywall repair.
- Utilize hand tools (e.g. pipe wrenches, closet auger, basin wrench, wire strippers, incandescent bulb changer, linemen's pliers, channel locks, hammer, screwdrivers, sockets, bits, nut drivers, hex wrenches, levels, drywall hand tools, tile tools, measuring tapes, clamps).
- Utilize power tools (e.g. cordless drill, circular saw, hammer-drill, reciprocating saw, hand-held drain cleaning equipment, plumbing augers) and equipment (e.g. single man lift and articulating man lifts).
- Maintain daily logs/records, utilize work orders, research/resolve issues to customer satisfaction.
DAYS AND SCHEDULE: Monday-Friday 8:00AM-4:30PM
Two years of general maintenance and repair experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved. Employee may be required to possess a valid US Driver’s license of the appropriate class and required endorsements throughout employment. Some positions in this classification may be required to obtain an Environmental Protection Agency Type 1 refrigeration license upon employment.
- Residential/commercial general maintenance or trades services (HVAC, plumbing, electrical, carpentry)
- Commercial 120/277-Volt electrical troubleshooting, repair and/or maintenance
- Residential plumbing repair and/or maintenance
- Commercial paint preparation and application
- Commercial carpentry repair and/or maintenance
- Using Microsoft Office applications (i.e., Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Using work order applications (i.e. TMA)
- Customer service
Evidence of effective communication skills
- Work on a team and contribute to team goals.
- Wear personal protective equipment (safety glasses, gloves).
- Work off ladders and scaffolding.
- Lift, bend and carry up to 75 pounds.
- Work inside conditioned and unconditioned space.
- Drive University vehicles.
- Clearly communicate to perform essential functions of the job.
May be exposed to hazardous and dangerous materials, tools, and equipment which will require safety precautions and/or specific process to be followed, and may include the use of Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) (e.g. safety glasses, hearing protection, negative pressure and positive pressure respirator). Use of PPE may require medical clearance prior to use.
ASU Facilities Development and Management (FDM) maintains and services all university-owned property, and develops and constructs innovative and sustainable facilities. FDM’s vision is to contribute to and guarantee the success of the university’s mission by creating and caring for the ASU campus and environment. We provide quality customer service, effectively steward our resources, and meet the needs of the university through creative and collaborative efforts.
Facilities Development and Management at ASU employment requires current eligibility to legally work in the United States. Facilities Development and Management will not be a sponsor for this position.
This position is located at the Polytechnic campus, 6110 South Sagewood, Mesa, AZ.
Must possess a valid Arizona driver's license (minimum of Class D) upon employment and maintain throughout employment. Post-offer of employment, selected candidate must possess an acceptable driving record which is 5 or fewer points in the most recent 39 month period from date of hire.
This position requires working a rotating on-call/stand-by schedule and may be called in for emergency response including nights, weekends, and holidays.
This position is considered safety/security sensitive and will include a fingerprint check. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of all background, including fingerprint checks.
Must pass pre-employment physical examination post offer of employment.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 100,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit https://wellness.asu.edu/explore-wellness/body/alcohol-and-drugs/tobacco
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456.
Relocation Assistance – For information about schools, housing child resources, neighborhoods, hospitals, community events, and taxes, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/relocation-services.
Employment Verification Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Fingerprint Check Statement
This position is considered safety/security sensitive and will include a fingerprint check. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the fingerprint check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00pm Arizona time on the day indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
Work reference history information for 3 current and/or former supervisors will be requested at time of interview.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
IMPORTANT NOTE: What is the meaning of “equivalent combination” in the minimum qualifications? It means one year of higher education or 24 credit hours, is equal to one year of experience. For example, a four year Bachelor’s degree is equal to four years of experience.