Strategic Sourcing Corporate Services Category Lead
Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
We are the largest nonprofit fighting poverty, disease, and inequity around the world. Founded on a simple premise: people everywhere, regardless of identity or circumstances, should have the chance to live healthy, productive lives. We believe our employees should reflect the rich diversity of the global populations we aim to serve. We provide an exceptional benefits package to employees and their families which include comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage with no premiums, generous paid time off, paid family leave, foundation-paid retirement contribution, regional holidays, and opportunities to engage in several employee communities. As a workplace, we’re committed to creating an environment for you to thrive both personally and professionally.
The TeamThe vision of Global Financial & Accounting Services (GFAS) is to provide innovative and scalable global business solutions in accounting, tax, payroll, treasury, procurement, and financial operations while safeguarding the reputation of the foundation and our related entities, with the highest standards of integrity and operational excellence.
GFAS is a division within the Finance organization at the foundation and an important part of the operations function. Operations supports and enables the six program teams to make investments and to run effectively and efficiently. As a function, Finance employs approximately 100 FTEs. The GFAS division is significant (40+ FTE’s), and responsible for financial reporting processes, technical and advisory services, internal controls, vendor due diligence and the accounting functions at the foundation.
As a new integral function of GFAS, Strategic Sourcing & Procurement (SS&P) is building up a team that partners with business to procure competitive vendors, drive negotiations and align with internal contracting requirements. SS&P is both a practice and function.
• As a practice, SS&P is the evaluation and selection of vendors based on qualitative and measurable success metrics, rather than the simple cost of the product or service. SS&P connects spend analysis, data-driven vendor selection with diversity in mind, and ongoing engagement with vendors to increase purchasing power to deliver value and mitigate risk.
• As a function, SS&P is a new business-enabling team who partners with Contract Services, Finance, Information Security, HR, Legal, Accounting and others to ensure our vendor procurement process is transparent, balances risk, and gives time back to business partners to focus on their impactful work in the foundation.
Reporting to the Head of Sourcing of SS&P, the Strategic Sourcing Corporate Services Category Lead will join a team whose primary responsibilities include strategic sourcing, category and vendor management, managing all procurement processes, and leading the overall Corp Services category team. The ideal candidate has strategic procurement experience, excellent interpersonal skills, and will have directly worked with Corp Services partners (HR, Finance, Facilities, Travel and Events, and Security) along with Legal partners to manage and complete contracts, run RFPs (Request for Proposal), facilitate Vendor Selection process & build out processes, workflows, and various applications used to support the source to pay process.
The candidate must be a self-starter, able to work independently and interested in growing their role as the program matures. Ability to indirectly influence the organization and excellent communication skills are a must. Passion to deliver quality work themselves as well as deliver through their team by leading others. We are looking for someone who can start fast to manage multiple responsibilities while producing high-quality work.
What You’ll Do
- Lead the Corp Services Category management responsibility across the foundation.
- Deliver on strategic Corp Services plans to advance short- and long-term SS&P goals.
- Help set goals and carry out plans aligned with overall SS&P vision.
- Partner with business owners and collaborators on RFPs, new contracts, and renewals.
- Partner with Legal and GCS (Grants and Contract Services) with the ability to form good relationships in a complex environment
- Collaborate with internal customers and teams to develop requirements, project plans and implementation plans.
- Leverage data to build consensus or influence key partners.
- Establish and track key performance indicators and present progress to senior management.
- Lead and facilitate performance conversations with vendors as needed.
- Educate collaborators on overall Source to Contract process and value proposition of Sourcing team.
- Leverage current or custom-build reporting and tools required for the program.
- Develop adoption strategies for vendor programs and use of a non-mandated team.
- Manage other Sourcing SME(s) personnel and/or work product as needed.
- Build templates and guides that help make the team most effective.
- Role will focus on North America but will also support initiatives globally.
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum 10 years of combined procurement experience (7+ Sourcing & Procurement experience) with strong negotiating, contracting and project management expertise.
- Solid understanding of systems like Coupa, D&B (Dun & Bradstreet), DocuSign, Concur, Dynamics, etc.
- Demonstrable experience managing ‘Fast Buy’ channels and preferred vendor programs and vendor PunchOuts, for expediting purchasing for low-risk commodities and vendors.
- Analytical and data focused approach that enjoys providing actionable insights via dashboards.
- Experience managing other sourcing managers and delivering results through a team while owning the reporting of qualitative and quantitative deliverables encouraged from the team.
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced environment while managing various priorities to meet multiple deadlines.
- Must exhibit strong service excellence, detail orientation, and excel in problem solving.
- Experience with discovering new vendors and negotiating contracts with established or new vendors across corporate services.
- Strong customer service attitude & project management Skills.
- Demonstrated success in working collaboratively across multiple businesses, functions or work groups
- Demonstrated SME (Subject Matter Expert) in Corp Services categories: HR, Facilities, Security, Finance, Travel and Expense
- Experience and success in partnering with legal teams to implement & negotiate vendor contracts.
- Collaboration and communication skills (both verbal and written) are top notch. Experience in presenting to different audiences (from individual teams to executive level). Communicates in a clear, concise and timely manner.
- Must be able to legally work in the country where this position is located without visa sponsorship.
The typical salary range for this role is $101,000 to 188,100 USD. The exact offer will be determined by a variety of factors such as the candidate’s individual skills, qualifications, and experience relative to the requirements of the role.
As part of our standard hiring process for new employees, employment will be contingent upon successful completion of a background check.
If you require assistance due to a disability in the application or recruitment process, please submit a request here.
We are dedicated to the belief that all lives have equal value. We strive for a global and cultural workplace that supports ever greater diversity, equity, and inclusion — of voices, ideas, and approaches — and we support this diversity through all our employment practices.
All applicants and employees who are drawn to serve our mission will enjoy equality of opportunity and fair treatment without regard to race, color, age, religion, pregnancy, sex, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, and prior protected activity.