Senior Program Coordinator, Neglected Tropical Diseases
Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
We are the largest nonprofit fighting poverty, disease, and inequity around the world. Founded on a simple premise: people everywhere, regardless of identity or circumstances, should have the chance to live healthy, productive lives. We believe our employees should reflect the rich diversity of the global populations we aim to serve. We provide an exceptional benefits package to employees and their families which include comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage with no premiums, generous paid time off, paid family leave, foundation-paid retirement contribution, regional holidays, and opportunities to engage in several employee communities. As a workplace, we’re committed to creating an environment for you to thrive both personally and professionally.
The TeamOur Global Health Program (GHP) harnesses advances in science and technology to save lives in poor countries. We focus on the health problems that have a major impact in developing countries but get too little attention and funding. Where tools exist, we support sustainable ways to improve their delivery. Where they don’t, we invest in research and development of new interventions, such as vaccines, drugs, and diagnostics. Our work in infectious diseases focuses on strategies to fight and prevent HIV/AIDS, malaria, tuberculosis, neglected tropical diseases, enteric and diarrheal diseases, pneumonia, and maternal, newborn and child health. These strategies are supported by functional & cross cutting teams that focus on Discovery and Translational Sciences, Innovative Technology Solutions, Vaccine Development, Innovation Introduction, and Integrated Development. The Neglected Tropical Diseases (NTD) team has two overarching impact goals that define success. Our first goal is to eradicate, eliminate, or control 8 of the 20 Neglected Tropical Diseases recognized by the WHO [lymphatic filariasis (LF), onchocerciasis (oncho), schistosomiasis (schisto), soil-transmitted helminths (STH), trachoma, Guinea worm (GW), visceral leishmaniasis (VL) in South Asia, and human African trypanosomiasis (HAT)]. Our second goal is to improve non-NTD health outcomes using the NTD delivery platform, through programs such as Resiliency through Azithromycin for Children (REACH).
The NTD program has a need for a Senior Program Coordinator (SPC). This position will be responsible for coordination, implementation, and maintenance of a range of projects and activities in support of the life cycle of the team’s broad portfolios of grants and contracts.
This role will manage a large variety of investments, including grants, contracts, and other program-related investments, as well as coordinate other projects in support of the program’s goals. The SPC will work closely with Deputy Directors, Program Officers, internal Business Partners, and with prospective and awarded grantees to make and manage high-quality investments. The role will involve working with team members to project manage the investment making process according to timelines, legal, system, and team requirements, providing budget oversight and planning, providing complementary business and strategic input on investment development, and ensuring high quality communications with internal and external partners.
Ideal candidates will be energized by using their exceptional operational skills to help others organize around and execute on a set of goals, have demonstrated interpersonal skills to manage stakeholders at all levels, and have impeccable attention to detail.
· Work with Program Officers, Grantees, and Business Partners during all stages of grant making (e.g. sending out requests for proposals, driving key deadlines for submissions and revisions). Assist with grant management and evaluation by requesting and reviewing written materials (including grant summaries and reports).
· Coordinate contracts, including tracking of invoicing and deliverables, receipt of required reports and monitoring expenditures. Shepherd the development, management, and close out of grants. Coordinate the end-to-end contract and grant processes with internal parties (contracts, grants & legal business partners) and external parties (vendors & grantees) within investment databases.
· Manage data for all grants and contracts in multiple investment databases and SharePoint sites. Provide detailed financial analysis and ensure data integrity to support team's financial decision making. Work with other business team members and Program Officers to keep all pertinent information accurate and up-to-date for reporting and analysis.
· Lead high quality interactions and clear and consistent communications with grantees and partners in the field; provide hands on guidance and support for grantees and vendors with budget templates, required documents, technical assistance, and proposal development processes.
· Act as liaison and partner with Grants & Contracts Management, Legal, and Financial Planning & Analysis.
· Work on special team projects as needed, usually related to supporting a grant or supporting the efficiency of team processes. Proactively identify areas for process improvement and make recommendations.
· Contribute to continuous improvement efforts for any and all relevant internal operational initiatives. Manage process change with program team and external partners.
· Act as subject matter expert on processes, tools, systems and templates and provides training, ongoing coaching and process change support to program team and external partners to ensure successful adoption and sustained use.
Core Knowledge and Skills
· Able to work with flexibility, efficiency, and diplomacy in a fast-paced, challenging environment.
· Energized by and able to learn new things quickly.
· Able to distill what is needed next, even in the face of ambiguity or without expertise in programmatic content.
· Demonstrated effectiveness influencing individuals and teams without explicit authority.
· Demonstrated ability to recognize complexity and assesses risks and alternatives considering competing requirements and incomplete knowledge.
· Demonstrated ability to learn and understand rules, regulations, policies, processes, and practices and provide advice on applicability and how to efficiently manage within constraints.
· Ability to communicate effectively with internal and external partners, including providing clear guidance on foundation templates and processes.
· Able to use discretion in communicating internally and externally and maintain confidentiality when appropriate.
· Demonstrates knowledge of and ability to work across multiple investment-making and data management systems such as those in Access, Excel, SharePoint, Salesforce and other web-based software applications. Basic SharePoint site administration skills, including metadata tagging, document view creation, archiving, and creating and maintaining confidential files.
· Enjoy working in a diverse and dynamic team setting. Be willing and excited to contribute your own diverse perspectives and experiences to the team.
· Experience in working with both non-profit and for-profit partners and Expenditure Responsibility grantees is helpful.
Leadership and Culture
We believe that energized people, working well together, fueled by great leadership in an inclusive environment in which they thrive, will do phenomenal things.
Education and Experience
· Bachelor’s degree and 5+ years of experience, or equivalent experience.
· Demonstrated ability to handle high volume and/or complex portfolios.
· Minimum 2 years of experience as a Program Coordinator at the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation strongly preferred.
*Must be able to legally work in the country where this position is located without visa sponsorship.
The typical salary range for this role is $32.21 to $59.90 USD per hour. The exact offer will be determined by a variety of factors such as the candidate’s individual skills, qualifications, and experience relative to the requirements of the role.
As part of our standard hiring process for new employees, employment will be contingent upon successful completion of a background check.
If you require assistance due to a disability in the application or recruitment process, please submit a request here.
We are dedicated to the belief that all lives have equal value. We strive for a global and cultural workplace that supports ever greater diversity, equity, and inclusion — of voices, ideas, and approaches — and we support this diversity through all our employment practices.
All applicants and employees who are drawn to serve our mission will enjoy equality of opportunity and fair treatment without regard to race, color, age, religion, pregnancy, sex, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, and prior protected activity.