Summer Analyst, Investments
Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
We’re on an ambitious mission to solve some of society’s toughest challenges — from eradicating disease to improving education and addressing the needs of our local communities. Join us to build a better future for everyone!
CZI’s investment summer analyst program offers the unique opportunity to learn about the world of investing in a mission-driven environment. CZI’s investment team seeks to build a portfolio that will deliver superior risk-adjusted returns to fund CZI’s ongoing operations. We pursue a “manager of managers” approach, scouring the globe to find extraordinary partners that invest across public equities, hedge funds, leveraged buyouts, venture capital, and real assets. Investment summer analysts will have broad exposure to all asset classes, while focusing on a subset day-to-day.
Investment summer analysts receive broad-based training on our work, enjoy early responsibility, work directly with senior staff, and are engaged in all aspects of the investment process from day one. This includes participating in meetings with world-class managers, closely monitoring existing investments, and helping prepare materials to keep our founders and investment committee informed of progress.
We are looking for intellectually curious candidates with exceptional communication skills and a desire to work collaboratively as part of a team. We value thoughtfulness, analytical rigor, and the pursuit of excellence. The role is open to rising sophomores and juniors. Successful summer analysts will be considered for a full-time analyst role following graduation.
Please note that the CZI Investments function is separate from Ventures at CZI, the team which makes investments into individual companies. For those interested in learning about Ventures at CZI specifically, please visit the Ventures website here.
- Conduct due diligence on existing and prospective investment managers, including participating in meetings and calls
- Play an active role in internal discussions related to investment decisions
- Build investment models, develop performance analyses, and monitor exposures at both the fund and portfolio level utilizing software/systems (including Excel)
- Prepare materials for internal team meetings and external manager meetings
- Research financial markets, including preparing periodic updates on financial market performance and “deep dives” into specific areas of interest
- Build relationships with investment managers and peer institutions
- Develop a toolkit and grow as an investor through hands-on training and mentorship
- Gain exposure to CZI’s philanthropic programs
- Current progress towards an undergraduate degree. An ideal candidate is a college sophomore or junior looking for a summer internship before their junior or and senior years. We welcome all majors to apply!
- Ability to work for 12 consecutive weeks during the Summer 2024
- Strong Intellectual curiosity
- An interest in financial markets and desire to learn how to build successful investment portfolios
- An ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong time management skills with ability to multitask and prioritize across projects to meet deadlines
- Passion for CZI’s mission
Please have your completed application submitted by 9:00pm PT on Sunday, September 17th. We look forward to meeting you!
The Redwood City, CA base pay for this role is [$49.52]. Pay ranges outside Redwood City are adjusted based on cost of labor in each respective geographical market. Your recruiter can share more about the specific pay range for your location during the hiring process.
Onsite work mode is site-based in our office at our HQ in Redwood City, CA.
Flex work mode is open to a hybrid approach, but not open to be fully remote.
Remote work mode is eligible for all three modes (Remote, Flex, or Onsite) available to you at CZI.
Priscilla Chan, a pediatrician and founder of The Primary School in East Palo Alto, and Mark Zuckerberg, founder and CEO of Meta, announced the creation of CZI shortly after welcoming their first child in 2015 — with the goal of helping build a more inclusive, just, and healthy future for everyone. Their idea was ambitious but grounded in the belief that by harnessing technology, we can tackle some of the greatest challenges of our time in new ways to help drive faster progress.
CZI is committed to creating a more inclusive and diverse workplace. We welcome interest from individuals of all backgrounds and levels of experience who share our mission. If you’re interested in this role but your previous experience doesn’t perfectly align with each qualification in the job description, we still encourage you to apply as you may be the perfect fit for this or another role!