Engineering Manager, SciTech, Science
Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
We’re on an ambitious mission to solve some of society’s toughest challenges — from eradicating disease to improving education and addressing the needs of our local communities. Join us to build a better future for everyone!
As the EM of the Sci Tech org you would be working with a set of highly motivated and talented engineers to build cloud applications on latest technologies that scientists rely on every day in ways that enable them to draw more meaningful conclusions, or biological insights, more quickly. By making our tools, methods, and quality data sets accessible to a diverse set of scientists, clinicians, and patient communities, we contribute to the rate at which biomedical science can understand and advance human health.
In the initial years this role will be focused on leading a team that is building a new platform based on modern architectural design pattern for the Infectious disease program at CZI. The infectious disease program has two products CZ Gen Epi and CZ ID. Both the applications are being developed at CZI in a public open source repository and are free for use by anyone, with the goal of making this capability available in underserved communities as easily as it is anywhere else. As we are seeing a crossover of users between the two projects we are strategically planning on building integrated workflows across the applications and common data visualization components. The vision is to provide a seamless user-friendly experience to the researchers for unbiased pathogen detection and discovery of any microbial threat.
- CZ Gen Epi is a web-based tool that allows public health departments and researchers worldwide to track outbreaks of COVID-19 in their communities, identify which variants are active, and detect new variants that may arise.
- CZ ID aims to provide tools to facilitate research of infection diseases through genomic analysis. Researchers can access state-of-the-art genomic pipelines and rich visualizations to identify pathogens in genomic samples with only a few clicks. This web app focuses on pinpointing the most relevant pathogenic organisms and providing highly interactive visualizations that accelerate time to result and can be accessed by both experts and non-tech savvy users.
What You'll Do
- Manage the day-to-day operations of a team of 7-9 talented, mission driven engineers working on cutting edge cloud technologies and:
- Manage the scrum process.
- Provide mentoring and career planning for the individual contributors.
- Work with Product Management to define and communicate the short-term and long-term goals of the project, and to develop the product roadmap.
- Ensure engineering excellence in terms of product quality, performance, and security.
- Initiate/support exploratory projects that produce new designs, products, and processes.
- Be the hiring manager point of contact with recruiting for new positions.
What You'll Bring
- 8+ years of experience working in software development teams and 2+ years as an engineering manager.
- Experience with managing full stack web application projects.
- Exposure to AI/ML projects is preferred but not required
- The technical background to enable you to contribute to the software design discussions and decisions and to development if needed.
- Analytical skills for evaluating information carefully and solving complex problems
- To do critical and flexible thinking, including the ability to pivot and try new approaches when faced with challenges
- The ability to motivate and coach a group of individual contributors with varying levels of experience.
The Redwood City, CA base pay range for this role is $190,000.00 - $285,000.00. New hires are typically hired into the lower portion of the range, enabling employee growth in the range over time. Actual placement in range is based on job-related skills and experience, as evaluated throughout the interview process. Pay ranges outside Redwood City are adjusted based on cost of labor in each respective geographical market. Your recruiter can share more about the specific pay range for your location during the hiring process.
Onsite work mode is site-based in our office at our HQ in Redwood City, CA.
Flex work mode is open to a hybrid approach, but not open to be fully remote.
Remote work mode is eligible for all three modes (Remote, Flex, or Onsite) available to you at CZI.
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative was founded in 2015 to help solve some of society’s toughest challenges — from eradicating disease and improving education, to addressing the needs of our local communities. Our mission is to build a more inclusive, just, and healthy future for everyone.
CZI is committed to creating a more inclusive and diverse workplace. We welcome interest from individuals of all backgrounds and levels of experience who share our mission. If you’re interested in this role but your previous experience doesn’t perfectly align with each qualification in the job description, we still encourage you to apply as you may be the perfect fit for this or another role!