Senior Software Engineer, Science
Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
We’re on an ambitious mission to solve some of society’s toughest challenges — from eradicating disease to improving education and addressing the needs of our local communities. Join us to build a better future for everyone!
Founded by Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of society’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education. Across our core initiatives of Science and Education, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and advocacy to progress in our mission of building an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
- We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
CZI also supports multiple work options. Learn more about our philosophy and approach here.
In our Science Initiative, our mission is to support science and technology that will help make it possible to cure, prevent, or manage all diseases by the end of the century. Interdisciplinary teams of physicians, biologists, computational scientists, and engineers can expand our understanding of the human body and illness — the very science behind medicine. CZI fosters collaboration between scientists and engineers, develops tools and technologies, and builds support for basic scientific research.
The Imaging Technology Team is focused on enabling researchers to gain a much deeper mechanistic and quantitative understanding of biological systems. We are growing an open source image visualization and analysis ecosystem, built around napari and the napari hub. We are also in the early stages of developing image acquisition software to enable high-performance advanced microscopes that need tight integration with image visualization and analysis.
As a Senior Software Engineer on the Imaging Technology Team, you will build open source software to support this mission, working closely with a collaborative, multi-disciplinary team. You will also collaborate with external partners, who are pushing the boundaries of current microscopy hardware, and learn about imaging technologies. This is a great opportunity for a Software Engineer who wants to help speed up scientific research and enjoys solving challenging problems.
- Build open source software to control microscope hardware and work with high-speed streaming imaging data
- Solve challenging data problems to enable near real-time visualization and analysis of very large volumetric imaging datasets
- Develop real-time software for integrating cameras and other devices critical for researchers developing cutting-edge microscopes
- Work in a multi-disciplinary team, with engineers, product managers, applications scientists, data scientists, UX researchers and designers, to define product plans and deliver on roadmaps
- Provide technical leadership and mentoring to other engineers
- 5+ years of demonstrated experience with C, C++ and Python
- Experience with CUDA, CMake and Rust is a plus
- Experience developing robotics software is a plus
- Experience writing multi-process or multi-threaded software with practical knowledge of how this software can fail
- A solid understanding of data structure tradeoffs and can apply performant algorithms to solve problems
- Experience working with microscope instrumentation and control preferred
- Internal drive for continuous learning and teaching others
- Experience working with open-source software development methodologies is a plus
The Redwood City, CA base pay range for this role is $190,000 - $285,000. New hires are typically hired into the lower portion of the range, enabling employee growth in the range over time. Actual placement in range is based on job-related skills and experience, as evaluated throughout the interview process. Pay ranges outside Redwood City are adjusted based on cost of labor in each respective geographical market. Your recruiter can share more about the specific pay range for your location during the hiring process.
Onsite work mode is site-based in our office at our HQ in Redwood City, CA.
Flex work mode is open to a hybrid approach, but not open to be fully remote.
Remote work mode is eligible for all three modes (Remote, Flex, or Onsite) available to you at CZI.
Priscilla Chan, a pediatrician and founder of The Primary School in East Palo Alto, and Mark Zuckerberg, founder and CEO of Meta, announced the creation of CZI shortly after welcoming their first child in 2015 — with the goal of helping build a more inclusive, just, and healthy future for everyone. Their idea was ambitious but grounded in the belief that by harnessing technology, we can tackle some of the greatest challenges of our time in new ways to help drive faster progress.
CZI is committed to creating a more inclusive and diverse workplace. We welcome interest from individuals of all backgrounds and levels of experience who share our mission. If you’re interested in this role but your previous experience doesn’t perfectly align with each qualification in the job description, we still encourage you to apply as you may be the perfect fit for this or another role!