Senior Data Engineer, Investment Operations
Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
We’re on an ambitious mission to solve some of society’s toughest challenges — from eradicating disease to improving education and addressing the needs of our local communities. Join us to build a better future for everyone!
Chan Zuckerberg Initiative is seeking to recruit a Data Engineer to join an outstanding investment operations team that is critical to the execution of CZI’s multi-asset class investment portfolio. The investment function pursues a "manager-of-managers" approach, working with funds across a wide spectrum of investment styles and strategies. The ideal candidate will have a technical background with a strong interest in acquiring finance/investments knowledge. They possess both data engineering and advanced data analytics skills. They will have a strategic approach, while also possessing a proactive, entrepreneurial attitude, and are excited about shaping and building out CZI’s investment systems and reporting tools. A commitment and passion for philanthropy and CZI’s mission will also be a key consideration.
What You'll Do
- Design and implement data warehouses/data lakes to hold structured and unstructured data. Design data models for optimal storage and retrieval for business analytics and AI applications.
- Build and maintain clean data sets and sources, and automate data workflow and integration tasks.
- Implement data quality checks and pro-active exception handling and notification systems to ensure consistently high-quality data and resolve inconsistencies.
- Compile, organize, and manage financial data that provide inputs for monitoring investments and investment decision-making.
- Monitor and support production data warehouses and platforms.
- Make data easily accessible through reports, dashboards, and data extracts via easy-to-use software tools.
What You'll Bring
- 5+ years of Python development and use of data API experience.
- 5+ years of database design, modeling, and SQL experience.
- 3+ years of experience developing and running code to ingest, transform, clean, and store data from a variety of data sources. Strong knowledge in CI/CD implementation.
- Strong knowledge in areas of Computer Science and computer technology that are relevant for financial databases and modeling.
- Strong interest in financial mathematics and economics, including quantitative skills and reasoning.
- Understanding of machine learning principles and algorithms preferred.
- A positive attitude, work well on teams with colleagues from a variety of professional backgrounds, and be willing to ask questions in uncertain circumstances.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to juggle multiple priorities.
- Independent thinking and the ability to understand technical documentation needed for solving the problems are essential.
The Redwood City, CA base pay range for this role is 214,000 - 321,000. New hires are typically hired into the lower portion of the range, enabling employee growth in the range over time. Actual placement in range is based on job-related skills and experience, as evaluated throughout the interview process. Pay ranges outside Redwood City are adjusted based on cost of labor in each respective geographical market. Your recruiter can share more about the specific pay range for your location during the hiring process.
Onsite work mode is site-based in our office at our HQ in Redwood City, CA.
Flex work mode is open to a hybrid approach, but not open to be fully remote.
Remote work mode is eligible for all three modes (Remote, Flex, or Onsite) available to you at CZI.
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative was founded in 2015 to help solve some of society’s toughest challenges — from eradicating disease and improving education, to addressing the needs of our local communities. Our mission is to build a more inclusive, just, and healthy future for everyone.
CZI is committed to creating a more inclusive and diverse workplace. We welcome interest from individuals of all backgrounds and levels of experience who share our mission. If you’re interested in this role but your previous experience doesn’t perfectly align with each qualification in the job description, we still encourage you to apply as you may be the perfect fit for this or another role!