Senior Software Engineer, Science
Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
We’re on an ambitious mission to solve some of society’s toughest challenges — from eradicating disease to improving education and addressing the needs of our local communities. Join us to build a better future for everyone!
In our Science Initiative, our mission is to support science and technology that will help make it possible to cure, prevent, or manage all diseases by the end of the century. Interdisciplinary teams of physicians, biologists, computational scientists, and engineers can expand our understanding of the human body and illness — the very science behind medicine. CZI fosters collaboration between scientists and engineers, develops tools and technologies, and builds support for basic scientific research.
The Imaging Technology Team is focused on enabling researchers to gain a much deeper mechanistic and quantitative understanding of biological systems. We are growing an open source image visualization and analysis ecosystem, built around napari and the napari hub. We are also in the early stages of developing image acquisition software to enable high-performance advanced microscopes that need tight integration with image visualization and analysis.
As a Senior Software Engineer on the Imaging Technology Team, you will build open source software to support this mission, working closely with a collaborative, multi-disciplinary team. You will also collaborate with external partners, who are pushing the boundaries of current microscopy hardware, and learn about imaging technologies. This is a great opportunity for a Software Engineer who wants to help speed up scientific research and enjoys solving challenging problems.
What You'll Do
- Build open source software to control microscope hardware and work with high-speed streaming imaging data
- Solve challenging data problems to enable near real-time visualization and analysis of very large volumetric imaging datasets
- Develop real-time software for integrating cameras and other devices critical for researchers developing cutting-edge microscopes
- Work in a multi-disciplinary team, with engineers, product managers, applications scientists, data scientists, UX researchers and designers, to define product plans and deliver on roadmaps
- Provide technical leadership and mentoring to other engineers
What You'll Bring
- 5+ years of demonstrated experience with C, C++ and Python
- Experience with CUDA, CMake and Rust is a plus
- Experience developing robotics software is a plus
- Experience writing multi-process or multi-threaded software with practical knowledge of how this software can fail
- A solid understanding of data structure tradeoffs and can apply performant algorithms to solve problems
- Experience working with microscope instrumentation and control preferred
- Internal drive for continuous learning and teaching others
- Experience working with open-source software development methodologies is a plus
The Redwood City, CA base pay range for this role is $190,000 - $285,000. New hires are typically hired into the lower portion of the range, enabling employee growth in the range over time. Actual placement in range is based on job-related skills and experience, as evaluated throughout the interview process. Pay ranges outside Redwood City are adjusted based on cost of labor in each respective geographical market. Your recruiter can share more about the specific pay range for your location during the hiring process.
Onsite work mode is site-based in our office at our HQ in Redwood City, CA.
Flex work mode is open to a hybrid approach, but not open to be fully remote.
Remote work mode is eligible for all three modes (Remote, Flex, or Onsite) available to you at CZI.
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative was founded in 2015 to help solve some of society’s toughest challenges — from eradicating disease and improving education, to addressing the needs of our local communities. Our mission is to build a more inclusive, just, and healthy future for everyone.
CZI is committed to creating a more inclusive and diverse workplace. We welcome interest from individuals of all backgrounds and levels of experience who share our mission. If you’re interested in this role but your previous experience doesn’t perfectly align with each qualification in the job description, we still encourage you to apply as you may be the perfect fit for this or another role!