Director, AI/ML Imaging
Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
We’re on an ambitious mission to solve some of society’s toughest challenges — from eradicating disease to improving education and addressing the needs of our local communities. Join us to build a better future for everyone!
CZI is a technology based philanthropy with a mission to build a better future for everyone. To cure, prevent, and manage all diseases by the end of the century, a deeper understanding of biological systems is necessary. Existing imaging tools provide a limited view, tending to focus on specific biological scales without the necessary context. Challenges are present in handling large data volumes, making quantitative insights, and closing substantial access and training gaps.
Despite significant advances in biomedical imaging, we are far from observing cells and subcellular processes in living organisms in a minimally invasive manner. CZI’s Frontiers of Imaging effort aims to accelerate the development of disruptive imaging technologies that connect biological scales—such as proteins to cells and cells to organisms. This will allow researchers to visualize biological processes at the necessary resolution and context to obtain a mechanistic understanding of health and disease.
CZI’s imaging program aims to drive the development of:
- A suite of new imaging tools capable of observing biological processes across spatial scales at the level of tissues, cells, and proteins;
- Robust frameworks to quantify, analyze, and share imaging data and methods.
Scientific imaging research and technology will play a critical role in enabling a deeper mechanistic understanding of health and disease, driving diagnostics, and informing directed treatments.
We support interdisciplinary teams of physicians, biologists, computational scientists, and engineers to expand our understanding of the human body and illness — the science behind medicine. CZI fosters collaboration between scientists and engineers, develops tools and technologies, and builds support for basic scientific research. Our North Star objective is to understand the mysteries of the cell, the fundamental building block of life. Our approach is to digitally model cell function through research, advanced development, collaboration, and funding. Some of our work in Science includes:
Building software such as:
- CZ cellxgene - an easy to use corpus of single-cell transcriptomics data.
- CZ ID - a metagenomics platform that delivers insights into infectious disease.
- Single-cell biology and the application of technologies that enable multi-omics investigation at the level of cells.
- Imaging and developing tools capable of observing biological processes across spatial scales at the level of tissues, cells, and proteins.
Doing science through
- The CZ Biohub Network empowering scientists to work on their riskiest, most exciting ideas.
- The CZ Imaging Institute and developing technologies to image the molecular architecture of the cell with atomic resolution.
What You'll Do
As the Director of AI/ML Imaging, you'll lead CZI's ambitious initiative to revolutionize biomedical imaging. Your leadership and expertise will shape the future of biomedical imaging, driving both technological innovation and strategic vision. Your role will be crucial in achieving CZI’s goal of advancing our understanding of health and disease. As a leader within CZI, you will develop and apply state-of-the-art artificial intelligence and machine learning methods to solve significant biomedical science problems. You will lead a team that leverages datasets created as part of CZI’s efforts to build, fund, and do science to develop models that transform our understanding of cells. You will also collaborate with other groups within CZI, CZI grantees, CZ institutes, and other external labs and organizations. Your work should inspire and enhance the production and analysis of datasets by CZ teams and collaborators. Scientific focus areas could include single cell biology, imaging, genomics, and proteomics.
- Leadership in AI/ML Application: Lead research projects that apply cutting-edge AI and ML techniques to biomedical sciences, focusing on imaging technologies and visualization of biological processes.
- Team Management: Lead a diverse and talented team, developing innovative ML systems and software tools for complex biological data sets analysis.
- Collaboration and Innovation: Work closely with CZI Science Technology team, grantees, Biohubs and institutes, and external organizations to drive ML efforts and innovation in scientific imaging.
- Strategic Planning: Identify and define necessary datasets and contribute to strategic decisions regarding AI application in biomedical sciences.
- Research and Development: Lead the design and implementation of novel ML models and algorithms for biological data analysis, driving innovation in machine learning and data analytics.
- Technical Leadership: Establish a vision for machine learning applications in electron microscopy imaging. Lead the development and refinement of methods and tools for complex biological data set analysis.
- Team Management: Direct and manage a skilled AI/ML team. Foster a culture of high motivation, enthusiasm, and performance.
- Cross-Functional Collaboration: Work with cross-functional teams, including product managers, designers, computational biologists, and engineers to seamlessly integrate AI capabilities.
What You'll Bring
- Expertise and Experience: Advanced degree in computer science or a related field, focusing on machine learning & data analytics. At least 5+ years of relevant experience in image analysis using machine learning
- Leadership Skills: Proven ability in leading and mentoring high-performance teams. Strong analytical, problem-solving, and communication skills.
- Collaborative Spirit: Ability to work in a highly interactive, cross-functional collaborative environment.
- Technical Mastery: Proficiency in AI/ML concepts, programming languages (Python, R, Scala), and familiarity with AI/ML frameworks (TensorFlow, PyTorch, Keras, etc.).
- Extensive Experience: 12+ years in engineering with a strong background in AI/ML, including 6+ years managing high-performance teams.
- Innovative Leadership: Demonstrated ability in building and leading engineering teams, focusing on AI/ML platform development and research.
- Strategic Thinking: Ability to identify high-impact engineering projects, establish engineering culture and best practices, and manage resources effectively.
The Redwood City, CA base pay range for this role is 323,000 - 485,000. New hires are typically hired into the lower portion of the range, enabling employee growth in the range over time. Actual placement in range is based on job-related skills and experience, as evaluated throughout the interview process. Pay ranges outside Redwood City are adjusted based on cost of labor in each respective geographical market. Your recruiter can share more about the specific pay range for your location during the hiring process.
Onsite work mode is site-based in our office at our HQ in Redwood City, CA.
Flex work mode is open to a hybrid approach, but not open to be fully remote.
Remote work mode is eligible for all three modes (Remote, Flex, or Onsite) available to you at CZI.
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative was founded in 2015 to help solve some of society’s toughest challenges — from eradicating disease and improving education, to addressing the needs of our local communities. Our mission is to build a more inclusive, just, and healthy future for everyone.
CZI is committed to creating a more inclusive and diverse workplace. We welcome interest from individuals of all backgrounds and levels of experience who share our mission. If you’re interested in this role but your previous experience doesn’t perfectly align with each qualification in the job description, we still encourage you to apply as you may be the perfect fit for this or another role!