Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Manager, Science
Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
We’re on an ambitious mission to solve some of society’s toughest challenges — from eradicating disease to improving education and addressing the needs of our local communities. Join us to build a better future for everyone!
The Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Manager, Science reports to the Director for Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning in Science. The Science MEL team works to ensure that the Science Initiative practices data-driven decision making and relies on assessment to systematically learn and improve. The team works across Science, both with program and technology teams, to embed monitoring, evaluation, and learning throughout the Initiative’s work. Among several job responsibilities, the Science Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Manager will contribute to this work by engaging with individual Science teams to implement ongoing data collection and analysis, assist in the interpretation of data, and develop new outcomes and indicators of interest. Using strong technical monitoring and evaluation skills, the Science MEL Manager will also be responsible for conducting internal evaluations and supporting externally commissioned evaluations.
What You'll Do
- Build relationships with individual Science program teams, other MEL staff across the broader organization, and relevant leadership members.
- Work with individual Science teams (focus areas include but are not limited to patient-driven research, open science, infectious disease, diversity in science) on data collection, analysis, and reporting.
- Design and conduct internal evaluations (responsibilities would include researching the history of the program and broader scientific field, designing the evaluation based on the nature of the program and future decision-making needs, managing internal data collection, and conducting analysis).
- Periodically manage large-scale evaluations conducted by external evaluators (must be able to represent the program’s interests when engaging with external evaluators).
- Contribute to the development of initiative-level reports related to ongoing monitoring, evaluation, and learning activities.
- Represent Science MEL Director in org-wide MEL-related efforts.
- Engage with colleagues from the Science Technology teams to collaboratively advance their MEL work.
What You'll Bring
- Strong knowledge of the evaluation field and core monitoring and evaluation concepts, methods, and practices, and ability to apply these to real-world funding programs
- At least 5 years of relevant experience working directly in MEL
- 1+ year of experience working in MEL in science philanthropy
- 1+ year of experience working with product development teams
- Prior engagement with other philanthropies around equitable evaluation
- Demonstrated experience doing MEL for international programming
- Demonstrated experience working in MEL related to health and disease
- Demonstrated experience working with multiple scientific disciplines simultaneously
- In addition to working with programs that fund scientific research, must also have experience working with programs that fund initiatives designed to effect culture change in the broader scientific research ecosystem
The Redwood City, CA base pay range for this role is $135,000 - $203,000. New hires are typically hired into the lower portion of the range, enabling employee growth in the range over time. Actual placement in range is based on job-related skills and experience, as evaluated throughout the interview process. Pay ranges outside Redwood City are adjusted based on cost of labor in each respective geographical market. Your recruiter can share more about the specific pay range for your location during the hiring process.
#LI-Remote #LI-Hybrid #LI-Onsite
Onsite work mode is site-based in our office at our HQ in Redwood City, CA.
Flex work mode is open to a hybrid approach, but not open to be fully remote.
Remote work mode is eligible for all three modes (Remote, Flex, or Onsite) available to you at CZI.
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative was founded in 2015 to help solve some of society’s toughest challenges — from eradicating disease and improving education, to addressing the needs of our local communities. Our mission is to build a more inclusive, just, and healthy future for everyone.
CZI is committed to creating a more inclusive and diverse workplace. We welcome interest from individuals of all backgrounds and levels of experience who share our mission. If you’re interested in this role but your previous experience doesn’t perfectly align with each qualification in the job description, we still encourage you to apply as you may be the perfect fit for this or another role!