Software Engineer - II, Backend
Coursera was launched in 2012 by two Stanford Computer Science professors, Andrew Ng and Daphne Koller, with a mission to provide universal access to world-class learning. It is now one of the largest online learning platforms in the world, with 129 million registered learners as of June 30, 2023.
Coursera partners with over 300 leading university and industry partners to offer a broad catalog of content and credentials, including courses, Specializations, Professional Certificates, Guided Projects, and bachelor’s and master’s degrees. Institutions around the world use Coursera to upskill and reskill their employees, citizens, and students in fields such as data science, technology, and business. Coursera became a B Corp in February 2021.
Join us in our mission to create a world where anyone, anywhere can transform their life through access to education. We're seeking talented individuals who share our passion and drive to revolutionize the way the world learns.
We at Coursera are committed to building a globally diverse team and are thrilled to extend employment opportunities to individuals in any country where we have a legal entity. We require candidates to possess eligible working rights and have a compatible timezone overlap with their team to facilitate seamless collaboration. As a remote-first company, our interviews and onboarding are entirely virtual, providing a smooth and efficient experience for our candidates.
Coursera is bootstrapping a new development center in Pune, India. This is an unique opportunity to be part of the founding team that would not only own a mission critical charter, but also play a significant role in shaping the culture for the location. We are looking for individuals with an entrepreneurial mindset who are excited by the prospect of building impactful 0 to 1 products.
As an engineer on the Enterprise Integrations team, you will be responsible for designing and developing integrations with leading Learning Experience Platforms (LXP), Human Resource Information Systems (HRIS), and Learning Management Systems (LMS) to drive enterprise adoption of Coursera's learning products. You will have the opportunity to work on complex technical challenges, and influence the future roadmap, growth and success of Coursera's enterprise business. You will work closely with a cross functional team of product, design, QA, solution architects, and peers from data engineering, infrastructure and SRE. You must be comfortable working in a fast-moving team environment (we deploy many times a day!)
- Design and implement scalable & robust APIs and Systems
- Measure your work thoroughly, analyze results, and generate hypotheses to drive new product changes through A/B testing
- Write and review technical documentation for the components owned by your team
- Develop and deploy your high-quality code (in Java, Scale or similar languages) following industry best practices and track key service level indicators (SLIs)
- Debug and fix production issues, lead blameless retrospectives, and participate in the on-call rotation to ensure adherence to the service level agreements (SLAs)
- Collaborate and mentor team members, and contribute to teams' success improving processes
- 5+ years of experience working in a relevant backend software engineering role
- Proficient in implementing APIs and writing automated tests
- Expertise in using managed cloud services, streaming technologies and handling large data sets
- Prior experience in developing new features and debugging complex issues with minimal supervision
- Fervent belief in engineering quality and building technical leverage for others
- Data-driven and strongly motivated by success and learnings through experiments and metrics analysis
- Founding engineers or candidates with prior experience in start-up environments are preferred, specifically those who have been part of a bootstrapping team, small start-up team, or expansion team.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced and dynamic environment, and navigate through ambiguity and uncertainty with confidence.
- Experience collaborating with cross-functional teams to deliver high-quality products or services.
- Proven track record of delivering results in a resource-constrained environment with limited guidance and supervision.
If this opportunity interests you, you might like these courses on Coursera: