Data Science Director, Consumer and Discovery
Coursera was launched in 2012 by two Stanford Computer Science professors, Andrew Ng and Daphne Koller, with a mission to provide universal access to world-class learning. It is now one of the largest online learning platforms in the world, with 136 million registered learners as of September 30, 2023.
Coursera partners with over 300 leading university and industry partners to offer a broad catalog of content and credentials, including courses, Specializations, Professional Certificates, Guided Projects, and bachelor’s and master’s degrees. Institutions around the world use Coursera to upskill and reskill their employees, citizens, and students in fields such as data science, technology, and business. Coursera became a B Corp in February 2021.
Join us in our mission to create a world where anyone, anywhere can transform their life through access to education. We're seeking talented individuals who share our passion and drive to revolutionize the way the world learns.
We at Coursera are committed to building a globally diverse team and are thrilled to extend employment opportunities to individuals in any country where we have a legal entity. We require candidates to possess eligible working rights and have a compatible timezone overlap with their team to facilitate seamless collaboration. As a remote-first company, our interviews and onboarding are entirely virtual, providing a smooth and efficient experience for our candidates.
At Coursera, our Data team is helping to build the future of education through data-driven decision making and data-powered products. We drive marketing, product and business strategy through measurement, experimentation, and causal inference.
We’re looking for a dynamic, collaborative and experienced Director to join our Data team to lead Data Science and Analytics for Consumer and Discovery business areas, reporting to the Sr. Director of Data Science. As a seasoned leader with a deep background in data science and analytics, this individual will play a pivotal role in leading and shaping data-driven product and marketing strategies at Coursera to drive consumer growth and retention through product and marketing efforts and improving discovery experience for the learners.
As a Data Science Director for the Consumer and Discovery business areas, this individual is expected to influence the strategies and roadmaps for business units under their purview and support the involved teams throughout the execution time. More specifically, this leader is responsible for partnering with stakeholders in defining metrics and goals for the business units they support, and leading their team in implementing advanced analytics, measurement, and reporting capabilities that will improve the effectiveness and efficiency of marketing across channels.
- Partner with stakeholders to establish metrics and goals, and develop campaign and marketing strategies, with shared responsibility for business goals and outcomes. Provide thought leadership to key stakeholders within product, marketing and revenue planning / finance areas.
- Leveraging data, insights, experimentation and MarTech capabilities, create audience segments, establish robust measurement strategies, and optimize ongoing campaign performance; accurately measure and evaluate marketing performance across various channels and touch points.
- Oversee customer tracking and tagging and eventing instrumentation initiatives, ensuring accurate data collection and actionable insights for personalized customer experiences.
- Increase self-service to insights capabilities via a combination of tools, dashboards, and education. Own production, development and maintenance of reports, Amplitude & Looker dashboards, data cubes and ongoing analyses to meet SLAs. Continuously think about how to improve the analytics infrastructure for the team and automate processes.
- Supervise the development of statistically correct test designs to ensure that the output is correct and delivers the insights that are needed.
- Develop and implement tools and methodology for user funnel analytics, audience segmentation, paid media efficiency measurement and channel and spend optimization (Media Mix Modeling and Multi-Touch Attribution techniques). Inform and drive build vs. buy decisions for tooling to enable marketing tracking, segmentation and optimization capabilities.
- Lead the data science and analytics organization to always push the boundaries to deliver high quality analysis and translate data into insights, strategies and actions that can help Coursera’s business growth; Grow the organization, mentor and maintain a high bar of analytical depth for the team.
- 8+ years of industrial experience in the domains of data science and product and marketing analytics with 4+ years of management experience, with a proven track record of establishing a high performing analytics team and delivering results in a leadership capacity.
- A strategic thinker with a keen eye for identifying growth opportunities and translating them into actionable plans. Exceptional problem-solving skills, with a strong ability to drive towards action and impact.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to convey complex technical concepts to non- technical stakeholders in a clear and concise manner.
- Strong command of analytical and visualization tools including Amplitude, Looker, SQL, and Python for data analysis and modeling.
- Excellent knowledge of Statistics, Experimentation, Test Design Setup, Measurement and A/B Testing.
- Deep understanding of marketing analytics and operation workflows, with expertise in incrementality / ROI measurement frameworks, experimental design, audience segmentation and data pipelines to enable and automate audience creation, customer tracking, and data tagging methodologies, funnel analytics, Media Mix Modeling, Multi-Touch Attribution, marketing channel and spend optimization, channel lift studies (Meta, Google).
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field; advanced degree preferred.
- Proficiency in utilizing external marketing platforms such as Google Adwords and Meta Ads to drive marketing campaigns.
- Experience at EdTech or Content Subscription business
- Experience working with Salesforce and/or Marketo data
- Experience with Airflow, Databricks and/or Looker
If this opportunity interests you, you might like these courses on Coursera:
- Go Beyond the Numbers: Translate Data into Insights
- Applied AI with DeepLearning
- Probability & Statistics for Machine Learning & Data Science