Senior Software Engineer - Backend (Developer Experience)
Coursera was launched in 2012 by two Stanford Computer Science professors, Andrew Ng and Daphne Koller, with a mission to provide universal access to world-class learning. It is now one of the largest online learning platforms in the world, with 142 million registered learners as of December 31, 2023.
Coursera partners with over 325 leading university and industry partners to offer a broad catalog of content and credentials, including courses, Specializations, Professional Certificates, Guided Projects, and bachelor’s and master’s degrees. Institutions around the world use Coursera to upskill and reskill their employees, citizens, and students in fields such as data science, technology, and business. Coursera became a B Corp in February 2021.
Join us in our mission to create a world where anyone, anywhere can transform their life through access to education. We're seeking talented individuals who share our passion and drive to revolutionize the way the world learns.
We at Coursera are committed to building a globally diverse team and are thrilled to extend employment opportunities to individuals in any country where we have a legal entity. We require candidates to possess eligible working rights and have a compatible timezone overlap with their team to facilitate seamless collaboration. As a remote-first company, our interviews and onboarding are entirely virtual, providing a smooth and efficient experience for our candidates.
Developer Experience is an infrastructure team that makes our engineers productive by providing all the necessary tooling, core libraries for services, and application scaffolding. By creating necessary abstractions, the team helps our developers focus on the business logic of their backend services and frontend applications without dealing with infrastructure concerns. Some of the notable components that the team owns are CI/CD, local build and testing systems, shared libraries, server-side rendering, and GraphQL infrastructure.
- Collaborate with internal engineering teams to understand their needs and come up with solutions that can enhance development and operation efficiency at scale.
- Work with architects and engineers to recommend, develop and review technical designs.
- Lead the design, development, testing, and deployment of core service functionalities.
- Mentor and guide fellow remote-first engineers to help them improve their technical ability and become more effective software engineers.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent work experience.
- 6+ years of experience working in a relevant software engineering role.
- Expertise in designing highly scalable and performant micro-services using Spring Boot.
- Experience serving as technical lead throughout the full SDLC, from conception, architecture definition, detailed design, scoping, planning, implementation, testing to documentation, delivery, and maintenance.
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills with a keen, inquisitive eye for detail along with a passion for high-quality standards.
- Master's degree in Computer Science.
- Experience working in an infrastructure/platform team
- Hands-on experience with Gradle.
If this opportunity interests you, you might like these courses on Coursera:
- Object Oriented Java Programming: Data Structures and Beyond Specialization
- Object Oriented Programming in Java Specialization
- Introduction to Programming with Python and Java Specialization
- Functional Programming in Scala Specialization