Software Engineering Manager, Pixel Modem System Software
Note: By applying to this position you will have an opportunity to share your preferred working location from the following: Mountain View, CA, USA; Kirkland, WA, USA; San Diego, CA, USA.
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent practical experience.
- 5 years of experience with software development in one or more programming languages.
- 5 years of experience with embedded systems and wireless communications.
- 3 years of experience in a technical leadership role; overseeing strategic projects, with 2 years of experience in a people management, supervision/team leadership role.
- Master's degree or PhD in Computer Science or related technical field.
- 8 years of experience with embedded systems and wireless cellular communications.
- 5 years of experience in development, testing, and deployment for Android BSP.
- 3 years of experience working in a complex, matrixed organization.
- Experience designing and developing for multiprocessor SOCs.
About the job
Like Google's own ambitions, the work of a Software Engineer (SWE) goes way beyond just Search. SWE Managers have not only the technical expertise to take on and provide technical leadership to major projects, but also manage a team of engineers. You not only optimize your own code but make sure engineers are able to optimize theirs. As a SWE Manager you manage your project goals, contribute to product strategy and help develop your team. SWE teams work all across the company, in areas such as information retrieval, artificial intelligence, natural language processing, distributed computing, large-scale system design, networking, security, data compression, user interface design; the list goes on and is growing every day. Operating with scale and speed, our exceptional software engineers are just getting started -- and as a manager, you guide the way.
In this role, you will lead the design, implementation, testing, and deployment of software on production devices that support wireless 4G/5G connectivity (e.g., Pixel phones, Pixel wearable devices). You will help develop a reliable, scalable, and efficient 4G/5G embedded wireless platform with Google innovative technologies on Made-by-Google products. You'll work on full-stack technology, including drivers/RTOS/firmware, cross-platform frameworks, Android programming, developer tools, and development/testing infrastructure.
The Google Pixel team focuses on designing and delivering the world's most helpful mobile experience. The team works on shaping the future of Pixel devices and services through some of the most advanced designs, techniques, products, and experiences in consumer electronics. This includes bringing together the best of Google’s artificial intelligence, software, and hardware to build global smartphones and create transformative experiences for users across the world.
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $185,000-$283,000 + bonus + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include bonus, equity, or benefits. Learn more about benefits at Google.
- Set and communicate team priorities that support the broader organization's goals. Align strategy, processes, and decision-making across teams.
- Set clear expectations with individuals based on their level and role and aligned to the broader organization's goals. Meet regularly with individuals to discuss performance and development and provide feedback and coaching.
- Review code developed by other engineers and provide feedback to ensure best practices (e.g., style guidelines, checking code in, accuracy, testability, and efficiency).
- Lead and manage a team of engineers to design, implement, test, and innovate on new software features for modem systems, and develop embedded software frameworks.
- Lead the team in designing and implementing factory calibration and test systems, building automated regression tests, and creating system and developer tools for optimizing performance.
To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other organization location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
At Google, we’re committed to building a workforce that is more representative of the users we serve and creating a culture where everyone feels like they belong. To learn more about our diversity, equity, inclusion commitments and how we’re building belonging, please visit our Belonging page for more information.
We welcome and encourage people who are expecting and/or parents-to-be to apply to this or any other role at Google.
Google is a global company and, in order to facilitate efficient collaboration and communication globally, English proficiency is a requirement for all roles.
Something looks off?