Staff Software Engineer, Pixel Wireless Modem
Note: By applying to this position you will have an opportunity to share your preferred working location from the following: Mountain View, CA, USA; San Diego, CA, USA.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 8 years of experience in software development, and with data structures/algorithms.
- 5 years of experience testing, and launching software products, and 3 years of experience with software design and architecture.
- 5 years of experience working with the Linux kernel and Android systems.
- Master’s degree or PhD in Engineering, Computer Science, or a related technical field.
- 10 years of experience in the data path domain.
- 3 years of experience in a technical leadership role leading project teams and setting technical direction.
- 3 years of experience working in a complex, matrixed organization involving cross-functional, and/or cross-business projects.
- Experience with the network stack (e.g., UDP, TCP, IP) and interconnects (e.g., PCIe, USB).
- Experience with 3GPP 4G/5G protocol and architecture of software/hardware improvements to optimize overall low latency, and power-efficient AP data path performance for WWAN and Wifi Hotspot data traffic.
About the job
Google's software engineers develop the next-generation technologies that change how billions of users connect, explore, and interact with information and one another. Our products need to handle information at massive scale, and extend well beyond web search. We're looking for engineers who bring fresh ideas from all areas, including information retrieval, distributed computing, large-scale system design, networking and data storage, security, artificial intelligence, natural language processing, UI design and mobile; the list goes on and is growing every day. As a software engineer, you will work on a specific project critical to Google’s needs with opportunities to switch teams and projects as you and our fast-paced business grow and evolve. We need our engineers to be versatile, display leadership qualities and be enthusiastic to take on new problems across the full-stack as we continue to push technology forward.
The Pixel Wireless Modem team helps make wireless data performance and power consumption awesome for Pixel phones. We are responsible for all aspects of cellular performance for Pixel devices, from concept to volume production to post deployment, and for delivering an exceptional connectivity experience for our users. In this role, you will collaborate with engineers from multiple teams across Google to deliver system architecture, strategy, and roadmaps to optimize the cost, performance, and power of Pixel connectivity.
The Google Pixel team focuses on designing and delivering the world's most helpful mobile experience. The team works on shaping the future of Pixel devices and services through some of the most advanced designs, techniques, products, and experiences in consumer electronics. This includes bringing together the best of Google’s artificial intelligence, software, and hardware to build global smartphones and create transformative experiences for users across the world.
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $185,000-$283,000 + bonus + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include bonus, equity, or benefits. Learn more about benefits at Google.
- Design and architect system software and hardware for optimal memory bandwidth, latency, and packet processing, and to improve end-to-end data performance.
- Identify and improve AP performance for various end user use cases.
- Architect system software for multi-queue processing, prioritization, flow control, and packet filtering/accelerator.
- Work with cross-functional teams to develop power efficient mobile hotspot data performance, and develop creative solutions to improve user experience.
- Provide technical leadership on high-impact projects and contribute to SoC architecture and roadmaps.
To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other organization location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
At Google, we’re committed to building a workforce that is more representative of the users we serve and creating a culture where everyone feels like they belong. To learn more about our diversity, equity, inclusion commitments and how we’re building belonging, please visit our Belonging page for more information.
We welcome and encourage people who are expecting and/or parents-to-be to apply to this or any other role at Google.
Google is a global company and, in order to facilitate efficient collaboration and communication globally, English proficiency is a requirement for all roles.
Something looks off?