Softgoods Product Design Engineer (English)
Google welcomes people with disabilities.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering, Product Design, or related field or equivalent practical experience
- 5 years of experience with Softgoods Product Design or similar experience in Consumer Electronics
- Experience with Computer Aided Design (CAD) tools (e.g., PTC Creo, ProE, or Unigraphics NX) and mechanical simulation tools
- Ability to speak and write in English fluently
- Master's degree specializing in Mechanical engineering or similar engineering discipline
- 8 years of experience in Softgoods Product Design in the Consumer Electronics space
- Experience working with vendors and integration partners in Asia
- Experience shipping products in a lead or principal engineer role
- Knowledge of material analysis and failure analysis techniques
About the job
As a member of a fast-paced multi-disciplinary team, you use your creativity and diverse range of engineering experience to explore solutions to a variety of engineering problems. As a mechanical engineer, you participate in the design, analysis, and prototyping of new concepts. You work in a manufacturing and product oriented development environment and collaborate with vendors and outside sources in order to see parts through to manufacture.
As a Softgoods Architect, you will interface with Industrial Design, Product Design, Product Integrity, Operations and our manufacturing partners. You will design hardware mechanisms for accessories.
You will work in a number of areas including designing enclosures, mechanisms, connectors, and modules. You will work closely with cross-functional teams in operations, product, and hardware to define and deliver exceptional products.
- Work closely with Industrial Design on new/future facing product architecture for accessories.
- Design complex subsystems and individual parts from concept to production. Collaborate with suppliers of subsystems and individual parts throughout the design and manufacturing process.
- Identify the root cause of design, manufacturing, or reliability issues and develop corrective actions. Work with suppliers and manufacturing to ensure quality consumer products.
- Balance design considerations (e.g., functionality, sustainability, reliability, human factors). Be responsible for understanding and resolving all reliability concerns for designs. Execute with leadership through all development phases.
- Design for technical depth and innovative ideas. Solve issues associated with the product development path using creativity and smart designs.
To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other organization location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
At Google, we’re committed to building a workforce that is more representative of the users we serve and creating a culture where everyone feels like they belong. To learn more about our diversity, equity, inclusion commitments and how we’re building belonging, please visit our Belonging page for more information.
We welcome and encourage people who are expecting and/or parents-to-be to apply to this or any other role at Google.
Google is a global company and, in order to facilitate efficient collaboration and communication globally, English proficiency is a requirement for all roles.