Senior Motion Designer, Google Workspace
Note: Google’s hybrid workplace includes remote and in-office roles. By applying to this position you will have an opportunity to share your preferred working location from the following:
In-office locations: Sunnyvale, CA, USA; Boulder, CO, USA; Irvine, CA, USA; New York, NY, USA.
Remote location(s): United States.
- Bachelor's degree in Design, Human-Computer Interaction, Computer Science, a related field, or equivalent practical experience.
- 6 years of experience in product design or UX.
- Motion design experience related to physics, patterns, and visual design elements.
- Portfolio highlighting multiple projects and your direct contributions.
- Master's degree in Design, Human-Computer Interaction, Computer Science, a related field, or equivalent practical experience.
- 8 years of experience in product design or UX.
- 3 years of experience working in a complex, cross-functional organization. 2 years of experience leading design projects. 1 year of experience working with executive leaders.
- Experience using motion to reduce perceived latency.
- Understanding of basic principles of animation, and experience with using animation tools (e.g., After Effects or similar).
- Ability to fuse creativity and code to deliver cutting edge interactions, using motion to a narrative effect and understanding the future of interactive motion.
About the job
At Google, we follow a simple but vital premise: "Focus on the user and all else will follow." Google’s Motion Designers collaborate with cross-functional partners to create desirable and relevant product experiences that consistently elevate the Google brand. They help people make sense of their world by choreographing experiences that feel fluid, natural, and informative.
Google User Experience (UX) is made up of multi-disciplinary teams of UX Designers, Researchers, Writers, Content Strategists, Program Managers, and Engineers: we care deeply about the people who use our products. The UX team plays an integral part in gathering insights about the attitudes, emotions, and behaviors of people who use our products to inspire and inform design. We collaborate closely with each other and with engineering and product management to create industry-leading products that deliver value for the people who use them, and for Google’s businesses.
As a Motion Designer, you’ll apply your passion for animation to simplify complex interactions and solve challenging design problems. You’ll help define and implement Google’s motion design language and you’ll think critically about how motion reinforces Google’s UX brand, enhances interactivity, and delights our users.
The web is what you make of it and our team is helping the world make more of the web. From open-source pros to user-experience extraordinaires, we develop products that help users connect, communicate and collaborate with others. Our consumer products and cloud platforms are giving millions of users at homes, businesses, universities and nonprofits around the world the tools that shape their web experience -- and changing the way they think about computing.
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $139,000-$208,000 + bonus + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include bonus, equity, or benefits. Learn more about benefits at Google.
- Define and implement the look and feel of Google products through motion design.
- Provide patterns, best practices and guidance on animation and transitions for different devices (such as TV, tablets, wearables, mobile, etc.) and platforms (such as web, Android, iOS, etc.).
- Create high quality design proposals and drive projects from concept to iterations and implementation.
To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other organization location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
At Google, we’re committed to building a workforce that is more representative of the users we serve and creating a culture where everyone feels like they belong. To learn more about our diversity, equity, inclusion commitments and how we’re building belonging, please visit our Belonging page for more information.
We welcome and encourage people who are expecting and/or parents-to-be to apply to this or any other role at Google.
Google is a global company and, in order to facilitate efficient collaboration and communication globally, English proficiency is a requirement for all roles.
Something looks off?