Hardware Qualification Engineer, Google Cloud
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or equivalent practical experience.
- 3 years of experience working on board-level design and testing, schematic capture, and layout.
- Experience with protocols and interfaces (e.g., I2C, SPI, PCIe), and testing requirements and algorithms.
- Experience collecting and organizing data to reproduce and explain results.
- Master's degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or a related field.
- Knowledge of running and debugging the PCI Express protocol for root complexes and endpoints.
- Understanding of signal integrity for high speed interfaces, and best practices to collect accurate SI data.
- Understanding of lab equipment such as scopes, BERTs, and analyzers.
- Ability to use scripting and automation to execute test algorithms, and analyze results.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
About the job
Our computational challenges are so big, complex and unique we can't just purchase off-the-shelf hardware, we've got to make it ourselves. Your team designs and builds the hardware, software and networking technologies that power all of Google's services. As a Hardware Engineer, you design and build the systems that are the heart of the world's largest and most powerful computing infrastructure. You develop from the lowest levels of circuit design to large system design and see those systems all the way through to high volume manufacturing. Your work has the potential to shape the machinery that goes into our cutting-edge data centers affecting millions of Google users.
With your technical expertise, you lead projects in multiple areas of expertise (i.e., engineering domains or systems) within a data center facility, including construction and equipment installation/troubleshooting/debugging with vendors.
As the Hardware Qualification Engineer, you will lead initiatives to do testing for machine learning hardware deployed in Google data centers. You will give input on designs to improve our hardware until it meets Google standards of quality, reliability, and security.
Behind everything our users see online is the architecture built by the Technical Infrastructure team to keep it running. From developing and maintaining our data centers to building the next generation of Google platforms, we make Google's product portfolio possible. We're proud to be our engineers' engineers and love voiding warranties by taking things apart so we can rebuild them. We keep our networks up and running, ensuring our users have the best and fastest experience possible.
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $141,000-$212,000 + bonus + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include bonus, equity, or benefits. Learn more about benefits at Google.
- Create test plans and coordinate resources across test environments.
- Perform electrical, functional, performance, and reliability testing for Google machine learning trays and solutions. Analyze results to ensure that they meet Google requirements.
- Report bugs and drive corrective action where needed with external suppliers and internal Supply Quality Engineers (SQEs), commodity teams, and developers.
- Use scopes, protocol analyzers, and other lab equipment to collect data.
- Organize results, communicate findings, and incorporate learnings to maintain and improve the qualification process.
To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other organization location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
At Google, we’re committed to building a workforce that is more representative of the users we serve and creating a culture where everyone feels like they belong. To learn more about our diversity, equity, inclusion commitments and how we’re building belonging, please visit our Belonging page for more information.
We welcome and encourage people who are expecting and/or parents-to-be to apply to this or any other role at Google.
Google is a global company and, in order to facilitate efficient collaboration and communication globally, English proficiency is a requirement for all roles.
Something looks off?