System Development Engineer
- Experience using Linux/Unix administration and internals.
- Experience troubleshooting across Linux and Networking.
- Understanding of internet peering/routing topologies (e.g. Border Gateway Protocol (BGP)) and frontend development.
- Excellent problem-solving, verbal, and written communication skills.
About the job
Systems Development Engineering (SDE) at Google is a role where you manage services and systems at scale. SDEs creatively put their engineering discipline to use automating the mundane and reducing toil. We don’t just write code to fix bugs, but emphasize the development of tools and solutions that fix classes of problems. We know it’s hard to control what you can’t measure – so we focus on observability: instrumenting first, then turning data into knowledge, and finally knowledge into action. We know that the operational efficiency of Google systems, services, virtual compute environments and the operating systems that power them impact the environment, not just the bottom line. We know that working together we can do more, and that community matters.
Google brings together people with a wide variety of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives. We encourage them to collaborate, think big and take risks in a blame-free environment. We promote self-direction to work on meaningful projects, while we also strive to create an environment that provides the support and mentorship needed to learn and grow.
Together we engineer and build the infrastructure, tools, access and telemetry for systems that enable orchestration of Google-scale services. Come build things that matter.
EdgeOps provides global infrastructure support to external network operators and infrastructure partners where Google’s network meets the operator’s or partner’s network (Google Global Cache CDN).In this role, you will maintain operational health and optimizing capacity in the most efficient, scalable manner. You will balance improving the experience for end-users with the aim and business goals of our internal stakeholders.
Behind everything our users see online is the architecture built by the Technical Infrastructure team to keep it running. From developing and maintaining our data centers to building the next generation of Google platforms, we make Google's product portfolio possible. We're proud to be our engineers' engineers and love voiding warranties by taking things apart so we can rebuild them. We keep our networks up and running, ensuring our users have the best and fastest experience possible.
- Support Linux machines across the globe to ensure the reliability of Google’s content delivery and compute infrastructure.
- Collaborate regularly with partner ISPs to provide remote troubleshooting and IP networking support.
- Perform as part of a follow-the-sun operations team via a roster during Dublin’s core hours.
- Identify and implement projects to automate and improve support, and onboard hardware and services.
- Work closely with engineering teams, hardware vendors, product managers, and partners.
To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other organization location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
At Google, we’re committed to building a workforce that is more representative of the users we serve and creating a culture where everyone feels like they belong. To learn more about our diversity, equity, inclusion commitments and how we’re building belonging, please visit our Belonging page for more information.
We welcome and encourage people who are expecting and/or parents-to-be to apply to this or any other role at Google.
Google is a global company and, in order to facilitate efficient collaboration and communication globally, English proficiency is a requirement for all roles.
Something looks off?