Director, Engineering, Data Language Ecosystem
Note: Google’s hybrid workplace includes remote and in-office roles. By applying to this position you will have an opportunity to share your preferred working location from the following:
In-office locations: Seattle, WA, USA; Kirkland, WA, USA; Sunnyvale, CA, USA.
Remote location(s): California, USA.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 15 years of professional experience as an engineering leader.
- Experience with technical development within cross-functional engineering environments.
- Experience providing technical guidance and enabling teams to deliver data infrastructure to stakeholders.
- Master's degree or PhD in Computer Science related to data management and data processing, languages, or distributed systems.
- Experience in lifecycle data rollouts at scale, promoting product excellence and collaboration.
- Experience in ideation and innovation of technology, including database or related data infrastructure systems.
- Experience with highly scalable systems, with a focus on database or data processing technology.
- Experience with data language (e.g., SQL) and surrounding ecosystem of query engines, tooling, and testing.
About the job
In this role, you will lead the Data Language Ecosystem organization within the Data Foundations pillar of Core Data.The Data Language Ecosystem team is responsible for Google's key data-oriented languages and the development and coordination of the ecosystems surrounding them.
The Core team builds the technical foundation behind Google’s flagship products. We are owners and advocates for the underlying design elements, developer platforms, product components, and infrastructure at Google. These are the essential building blocks for excellent, safe, and coherent experiences for our users and drive the pace of innovation for every developer. We look across Google’s products to build central solutions, break down technical barriers and strengthen existing systems. As the Core team, we have a mandate and a unique opportunity to impact important technical decisions across the company.
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $271,000-$399,000 + bonus + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include bonus, equity, or benefits. Learn more about benefits at Google.
- Lead a growing engineering organization responsible for the Data Language Ecosystem team within the Core Data organization, and develop and deliver the Core Data strategy to build a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive organization.
- Evolve the strategic and technical direction for the Data Language Ecosystem, ensuring that the team’s objectives are aligned with those of Core Data.
- Scale the systems, be it rebuilding or supporting the existing Google wide platforms, or creating products and platforms, to meet the needs of stakeholders across Google.
- Provide the vision, strategy, and execution to deliver consistent, safe, and effective languages and APIs for working with data at Google that accelerate product innovation for Google.
- Develop and grow talent through effective mentoring and development.
To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other organization location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
At Google, we’re committed to building a workforce that is more representative of the users we serve and creating a culture where everyone feels like they belong. To learn more about our diversity, equity, inclusion commitments and how we’re building belonging, please visit our Belonging page for more information.
We welcome and encourage people who are expecting and/or parents-to-be to apply to this or any other role at Google.
Google is a global company and, in order to facilitate efficient collaboration and communication globally, English proficiency is a requirement for all roles.
Something looks off?