Software Engineer, Quantum Error Correction, Quantum AI
Note: By applying to this position you will have an opportunity to share your preferred working location from the following: Los Angeles, CA, USA; Goleta, CA, USA.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 5 years of experience with software development in C++ and Python, and data structures/algorithms.
- 3 years of experience testing, maintaining, or launching software products, and 1 year with software design/architecture.
- Experience with high-performance computing, real-time operating systems, kernel/driver development, concurrency, code development, or systems programming.
- Master's degree or PhD in Computer Science or related technical field.
- 1 year of experience in a technical leadership role.
- Experience developing accessible technologies.
- Experience interfacing with hardware, especially PCIe mounted FPGA systems.
- Experience with automation, monitoring, or release management.
- Knowledge of quantum computing and/or quantum error correction.
About the job
Google's software engineers develop the next-generation technologies that change how billions of users connect, explore, and interact with information and one another. Our products need to handle information at massive scale, and extend well beyond web search. We're looking for engineers who bring fresh ideas from all areas, including information retrieval, distributed computing, large-scale system design, networking and data storage, security, artificial intelligence, natural language processing, UI design and mobile; the list goes on and is growing every day. As a software engineer, you will work on a specific project critical to Google’s needs with opportunities to switch teams and projects as you and our fast-paced business grow and evolve. We need our engineers to be versatile, display leadership qualities and be enthusiastic to take on new problems across the full-stack as we continue to push technology forward.
The Quantum AI team aims to build useful quantum computers and discover new applications where they outperform classical machines. One of our key challenges is the protection of quantum information from noise. To that end, we encode quantum information in a quantum error correcting (QEC) code.
In this role, you will design and develop QEC software components and their integration into the qubit control stack of Google's quantum computers.
Google Research addresses challenges that define the technology of today and tomorrow. From conducting fundamental research to influencing product development, our research teams have the opportunity to impact technology used by billions of people every day.
Our teams aspire to make discoveries that impact everyone, and core to our approach is sharing our research and tools to fuel progress in the field -- we publish regularly in academic journals, release projects as open source, and apply research to Google products.
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $157,000-$235,000 + bonus + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include bonus, equity, or benefits. Learn more about benefits at Google.
- Design, implement, and deploy new features and software components that improve performance and extend capabilities of QEC software (e.g., simulators, circuit generators, syndrome decoders, benchmarking and evaluation tools, etc.).
- Collaborate with software and electronics teams to integrate QEC software into the qubit control stack.
- Configure, optimize, and tune specialized real-time Linux workstations running QEC software.
- Parallelize existing software components and develop new parallel software to improve speed and scalability.
- Help implement good software engineering practices to ensure robust code health of QEC software.
To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other organization location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
At Google, we’re committed to building a workforce that is more representative of the users we serve and creating a culture where everyone feels like they belong. To learn more about our diversity, equity, inclusion commitments and how we’re building belonging, please visit our Belonging page for more information.
We welcome and encourage people who are expecting and/or parents-to-be to apply to this or any other role at Google.
Google is a global company and, in order to facilitate efficient collaboration and communication globally, English proficiency is a requirement for all roles.
Something looks off?