Configuration Engineer, Manufacturing
Google welcomes people with disabilities.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical, Industrial, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience using technical productivity tools such as PDM/PLM tools (Windchill, Agile), CAD 3D Modeling tools (Creo, Solidworks).
- Experience in Configuration/Systems engineering and related system assembly, including BOM structure and product configuration.
- Master’s degree in Mechanical, Industrial, Electrical Engineering, or a related discipline.
- Demonstrated record of developing and maintaining system level compute architectures, with understanding of interdependencies from a power, networking, and physical interface perspective.
- Demonstrated ability to proactively influence the product design process for Design for Manufacture and Assembly considerations.
- Ability and commitment to produce a timely and highly accurate work product.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills, coupled with a well-focused attention to details.
- Excellent problem-solving, verbal, and written communication skills.
About the job
Google's custom-designed equipment makes up one of the largest and most powerful computing infrastructures in the world. The Manufacturing Operations team is responsible for providing the manufacturing capability to deliver this state-of-the-art physical infrastructure. As a Manufacturing Engineer, you evaluate the product designs and create the processes, tools and procedures behind Google’s powerful search technology. When vendors build parts for our infrastructure, you’re right there alongside ensuring manufacturing processes are repeatable and controlled. You collaborate with Commodity Managers and Design Engineers to determine Google’s infrastructure needs and product specifications. Your work ensures the various pieces of Google’s infrastructure fit together perfectly and keep our systems humming along smoothly for a seamless user experience.
As a Configuration Engineer within Google Technical Operations, you will join the team responsible for designing and delivering highly efficient and capable system configurations to Google’s data center fleet. You will collaborate with cross-functional teams to deliver complex Configuration Engineering designs. This includes working with stakeholders and customers to ensure that we deliver well-engineered compute permutations. In this role, you will help product teams deliver consistent results while improving process transparency and predictability. You will become a subject matter expert on the incumbent process and data structures, and influence and affect the transformation of internal business processes and procedures.
Behind everything our users see online is the architecture built by the Technical Infrastructure team to keep it running. From developing and maintaining our data centers to building the next generation of Google platforms, we make Google's product portfolio possible. We're proud to be our engineers' engineers and love voiding warranties by taking things apart so we can rebuild them. We keep our networks up and running, ensuring our users have the best and fastest experience possible.
- Design and create System-level deployment configurations (rack, rack payloads) for Compute and Networking Assemblies based on customer and technical infrastructure requirements.
- Create required design documentation (BoMs, Payload Layouts, Wiring Diagrams) for approved production definitions for Compute and Networking systems.
- Provide technical expertise and system-level guidance to internal design and development teams to ensure deployment of optimized configurations.
- Participate in and contribute to cross-functional transformation efforts as pertinent to Configuration Engineering processes and deliverables.
- Provide engineering and manufacturing guidance to our integration supply chain partners, as it pertains to Rack configuration and deployment activities.
To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other organization location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
At Google, we’re committed to building a workforce that is more representative of the users we serve and creating a culture where everyone feels like they belong. To learn more about our diversity, equity, inclusion commitments and how we’re building belonging, please visit our Belonging page for more information.
We welcome and encourage people who are expecting and/or parents-to-be to apply to this or any other role at Google.
Google is a global company and, in order to facilitate efficient collaboration and communication globally, English proficiency is a requirement for all roles.