Firmware Engineer Manager, Layer 1, Pixel Modem
Note: By applying to this position you will have an opportunity to share your preferred working location from the following: Mountain View, CA, USA; San Diego, CA, USA.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 5 years of experience with software development in one or more programming languages (e.g., Python, C, C++, Java).
- 3 years of experience in a technical leadership role while overseeing projects, with 2 years of experience in a people management or team leadership role.
- Experience in Modem, LTE, 3GPP.
- Master's degree or PhD in a Computer Science or related technical field.
- 10 years of experience designing, developing, optimizing, and validating modem LTE, NR L1, and RF features.
- 8 years of experience in modem LTE, NR L1, RF system architecture, and related 3GPP standards.
- 3 years of experience working in a matrixed organization.
- Experience with innovation of modem L1 or RF features.
About the job
Like Google's own ambitions, the work of a Software Engineer (SWE) goes way beyond just Search. SWE Managers have not only the technical expertise to take on and provide technical leadership to major projects, but also manage a team of engineers. You not only optimize your own code but make sure engineers are able to optimize theirs. As a SWE Manager you manage your project goals, contribute to product strategy and help develop your team. SWE teams work all across the company, in areas such as information retrieval, artificial intelligence, natural language processing, distributed computing, large-scale system design, networking, security, data compression, user interface design; the list goes on and is growing every day. Operating with scale and speed, our exceptional software engineers are just getting started -- and as a manager, you guide the way.
As a Firmware Engineering Manager in Pixel Modem Layer 1 (L1), you are expected to lead the team members in the US and focus on development, integration, customization and performance enhancement of modem L1/RF features on Pixel products, working closely with L1 team members in TW, Pixel Sofware/Hardware teams, original equipment manufacturers (OEM), and vendors. You are also expected to coordinate all debugging, analyzing and fixing modem L1 issues from factory, certification (GCF/PTCRB/IOT), field testing and customers, and join all related meetings on behalf of L1 team. In this team, you'll explore more opportunities to make larger impacts.
The Google Pixel team focuses on designing and delivering the world's most helpful mobile experience. The team works on shaping the future of Pixel devices and services through some of the most advanced designs, techniques, products, and experiences in consumer electronics. This includes bringing together the best of Google’s artificial intelligence, software, and hardware to build global smartphones and create transformative experiences for users across the world.
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $164,000-$252,000 + bonus + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include bonus, equity, or benefits. Learn more about benefits at Google.
- Manage, hire, and grow the Pixel Modem Layer 1 (L1) team.
- Coordinate the debugging of modem L1 issues from factory, certification (GCF/PTCRB/IOT), field testing, and customers.
- Collaborate with Software/Hardware/stakeholder teams to deliver high-quality Pixel modem on behalf of L1 team in the US.
To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other organization location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
At Google, we’re committed to building a workforce that is more representative of the users we serve and creating a culture where everyone feels like they belong. To learn more about our diversity, equity, inclusion commitments and how we’re building belonging, please visit our Belonging page for more information.
We welcome and encourage people who are expecting and/or parents-to-be to apply to this or any other role at Google.
Google is a global company and, in order to facilitate efficient collaboration and communication globally, English proficiency is a requirement for all roles.
Something looks off?