Software Test Engineer, Pixel Quality
Google welcomes people with disabilities.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, related technical field, or equivalent practical experience
- 2 years of experience programming in one of the following: Python, C++, Java/Kotlin, Golang
- 2 years of experience in designing test tools, fixtures and frameworks utilizing third-party instruments, robotics, computer vision, audio processing
- Experience in designing, implementing, or putting into action scalable test solutions that improve product quality
- Experience in driving testing activities and engagement with cross-functional teams to shape design and project direction
- Experience working with international teams across multiple regions and timezones
- Understanding of scientific methodologies to further the effectiveness of objective quality signals
- Familiarity with operating systems up and down the stack (e.g., user space, kernel layers)
- Passion for product excellence and end user experiences
About the job
At Google, our philosophy is build it, break it and then rebuild it better. That thinking is at the core of how we approach testing at Google. Unlike roles with similar names at the other companies, Test Engineers at Google aren't manual testers -- you write scripts to automate testing and create tools so developers can test their own code. As a Test Engineer, you navigate Google's massive codebase, identify weak spots and constantly design better and creative ways to break software and identify potential problems. You'll have a huge impact on the quality of Google's growing suite of products and services.
You use your knowledge of testing and testability to influence better software design, promote proper engineering practice, bug prevention strategies, testability, accessibility, privacy, and other advanced quality concepts across products.
Google's mission is to organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful. Our Devices & Services team combines the best of Google AI, Software, and Hardware to create radically helpful experiences for users. We research, design, and develop new technologies and hardware to make our user's interaction with computing faster, seamless, and more powerful. Whether finding new ways to capture and sense the world around us, advancing form factors, or improving interaction methods, the Devices & Services team is making people's lives better through technology.
- Design data-driven test strategies to overcome constraints needed to achieve intended quality experiences at time and at cost.
- Create and oversee execution of test plans/cases and drive closure of issues found.
- Develop scalable, objective, trusted, and actionable quality signals defined through scientific methodologies.
- Engineer solutions to drive efficiency through test automation, algorithmic validation, integration environments.
- Partner and communicate with cross-functional counterparts across identifying gaps, recommend creative solutions to solve defined problems, and communicate the status of release activities to the relevant stakeholders.
To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other organization location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
At Google, we’re committed to building a workforce that is more representative of the users we serve and creating a culture where everyone feels like they belong. To learn more about our diversity, equity, inclusion commitments and how we’re building belonging, please visit our Belonging page for more information.
We welcome and encourage people who are expecting and/or parents-to-be to apply to this or any other role at Google.
Google is a global company and, in order to facilitate efficient collaboration and communication globally, English proficiency is a requirement for all roles.
Something looks off?