Principal Engineer, Frameworks and Application Programming Interface
Note: By applying to this position you will have an opportunity to share your preferred working location from the following: Sunnyvale, CA, USA; Seattle, WA, USA.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, a similar technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- 15 years of experience as a software engineer or 13 years with an advanced degree.
- Experience solving problems and applying Machine Learning to solve problems.
- Experience with technical innovation in Frameworks, Libraries, Tools, APIs, or related fields.
- 20 years of experience in software engineering.
- Experience in Open Source development.
- Experience in technical systems and software influencing technical leaders across a company.
- Experience in reasoning and quantifying relative impacts and risks of technical work.
- Ability to ramp up in subject areas with short notice to guide a few weeks of research into potential risks related to Google infrastructure usage.
- Excellent API and systems design skills, and an understanding of the needs of advanced Machine Learning developers.
About the job
In this role, you will lead design and development of the CoreML frameworks and Application Programming Interfaces (APIs). You will help design and develop an excellent core Machine Learning API stack and ecosystem. You will work closely with TensorFlow and JAX leads on designing and building sustainable APIs for Machine Learning developers at Alphabet and throughout the world. You will advance Machine Learning, and have an Alphabet impact.
The Core team builds the technical foundation behind Google’s flagship products. We are owners and advocates for the underlying design elements, developer platforms, product components, and infrastructure at Google. These are the essential building blocks for excellent, safe, and coherent experiences for our users and drive the pace of innovation for every developer. We look across Google’s products to build central solutions, break down technical barriers and strengthen existing systems. As the Core team, we have a mandate and a unique opportunity to impact important technical decisions across the company.
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $271,000-$399,000 + bonus + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include bonus, equity, or benefits. Learn more about benefits at Google.
- Provide leadership in designing and implementing user-friendly, low-level APIs for Machine Learning production systems in C++ and Python.
- Work cross-functionally with Google products to design developer solutions for innovative models.
- Develop a structure of other technical leads in the area, both by defining technical goals and orienting teams around technical decisions they can make, and by providing development support to engineers in the area.
- Develop distributed systems for model training and flexible Machine Learning infrastructure for various processor types.
- Act as an executive reviewer or go-to person for changes or technical decision-making, participate in calibration and promotion feedback, resource escalations, and develop/drive appropriate decision-making and technical review processes for their areas and their teams.
To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other organization location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
At Google, we’re committed to building a workforce that is more representative of the users we serve and creating a culture where everyone feels like they belong. To learn more about our diversity, equity, inclusion commitments and how we’re building belonging, please visit our Belonging page for more information.
We welcome and encourage people who are expecting and/or parents-to-be to apply to this or any other role at Google.
Google is a global company and, in order to facilitate efficient collaboration and communication globally, English proficiency is a requirement for all roles.
Something looks off?