Staff Software Engineer, Site Reliability Engineering, Google Nest
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, a related field, or equivalent practical experience.
- 8 years of experience with data structures or algorithms.
- 5 years of experience with software development in one or more programming languages.
- 3 years of experience leading projects and designing, analyzing, and troubleshooting distributed systems.
- Experience in algorithms, data structures, analysis and software design and/or Unix/Linux systems, IP networking, performance and application issues.
- Experience in problem-solving and analyzing global scale distributed systems.
- Ability to discuss strategy with Google executive team.
- Ability to mentor and develop technical leadership within the team.
About the job
Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) combines software and systems engineering to build and run large-scale, massively distributed, fault-tolerant systems. SRE ensures that Google's services—both our internally critical and our externally-visible systems—have reliability, uptime appropriate to users' needs and a fast rate of improvement. Additionally SRE’s will keep an ever-watchful eye on our systems capacity and performance. Much of our software development focuses on optimizing existing systems, building infrastructure and eliminating work through automation.
On the SRE team, you’ll have the opportunity to manage the complex challenges of scale which are unique to Google, while using your expertise in coding, algorithms, complexity analysis and large-scale system design.
SRE's culture of diversity, intellectual curiosity, problem solving and openness is key to its success. Our organization brings together people with a wide variety of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives. We encourage them to collaborate, think big and take risks in a blame-free environment. We promote self-direction to work on meaningful projects, while we also strive to create an environment that provides the support and mentorship needed to learn and grow.
To learn more: check out our books on Site Reliability Engineering or read a career profile about why a Software Engineer chose to join SRE.
The Google Nest team focuses on hardware, software, and services for the home, ranging from Nest thermostats to Nest smart displays. The Google Nest team develops, designs, and develops new technologies and hardware to make users’ homes more helpful. Our mission is the helpful home: to create a home that cares for the people inside it and the world around it.
- Review product design strategies to ensure products are designed at conception to consider and prioritize scalability, reliability.
- Build relationships and work with our Software Engineer partners to build reliability into the products.
- Manage product area and help improve the entire Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) reliability tool set.
To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other organization location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
At Google, we’re committed to building a workforce that is more representative of the users we serve and creating a culture where everyone feels like they belong. To learn more about our diversity, equity, inclusion commitments and how we’re building belonging, please visit our Belonging page for more information.
We welcome and encourage people who are expecting and/or parents-to-be to apply to this or any other role at Google.
Google is a global company and, in order to facilitate efficient collaboration and communication globally, English proficiency is a requirement for all roles.
Something looks off?