Software Engineer III, Embedded Systems/Firmware, Chrome OS
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 2 years of experience testing, maintaining, or launching software products, and 1 year with software design and architecture.
- 2 years of experience with software development in one or more programming languages, and with data structures or algorithms.
- Experience with C, Linux Kernel, system architecture, and embedded systems.
- Master's degree or PhD in Computer Science or related technical field.
- Experience in system or low-level software development.
- Experience working in System and Kernel layers, while also working across the upper layers.
- Experience working on and influencing design from application level down to the hardware.
- Interest in growing into a people manager and working on hardware.
About the job
Google's software engineers develop the next-generation technologies that change how billions of users connect, explore, and interact with information and one another. Our products need to handle information at massive scale, and extend well beyond web search. We're looking for engineers who bring fresh ideas from all areas, including information retrieval, distributed computing, large-scale system design, networking and data storage, security, artificial intelligence, natural language processing, UI design and mobile; the list goes on and is growing every day. As a software engineer, you will work on a specific project critical to Google’s needs with opportunities to switch teams and projects as you and our fast-paced business grow and evolve. We need our engineers to be versatile, display leadership qualities and be enthusiastic to take on new problems across the full-stack as we continue to push technology forward.
The Chrome OS Platform team owns both hardware and software, providing simple, secure, speedy, stateless, and shared computing for a scalable ecosystem of devices from desktops to laptops to tablets.
In this role, you will be involved in software debugging, analysis, feature development, and tool development to make Chrome OS devices successful. This team primarily uses C, but some tools are written in Python and Go. Nearly all of the software used for this position is open-source, which is key to the team’s mission.
Chrome OS delivers quality computing at scale to provide universal and unfettered access to information, entertainment, and tools. Our mission is to empower anyone to create and access information freely through fast, secure, simple, and intelligent computing.
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $133,000-$194,000 + bonus + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include bonus, equity, or benefits. Learn more about benefits at Google.
- Analyze Chromebook system behavior in various firmware, the Linux kernel, and userspace.
- Assist partners in debugging kernel and firmware issues they report.
- Develop software for new features (e.g., fingerprint, new keyboards, audio protocols, new hardware components, USB4).
- Communicate regularly with partners and project managers to set expectations and keep development on track.
- Participate in feature planning discussions, cross-team meetings to collaborate with other developers, and in bug triage and fixing.
To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other organization location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
At Google, we’re committed to building a workforce that is more representative of the users we serve and creating a culture where everyone feels like they belong. To learn more about our diversity, equity, inclusion commitments and how we’re building belonging, please visit our Belonging page for more information.
We welcome and encourage people who are expecting and/or parents-to-be to apply to this or any other role at Google.
Google is a global company and, in order to facilitate efficient collaboration and communication globally, English proficiency is a requirement for all roles.
Something looks off?