Systems Development Engineer, VMWare Engine, Google Cloud
Note: Google’s hybrid workplace includes remote and in-office roles. By applying to this position you will have an opportunity to share your preferred working location from the following:
In-office locations: Sunnyvale, CA, USA.
Remote location(s): United States.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent practical experience.
- 13 years of experience with systems administration, systems development engineering, or similar industries.
- Experience managing data centers, ensuring availability, capacity management, and implementation of processes.
- Experience with VMWare.
- Experience with Python.
- Experience with a complete stack of VMWare Suite of products (e.g., vCenter, NSX, vSAN, vMotion, HSX etc.).
- Excellent partner management, follow-through, resourcefulness, attention to detail, and verbal and written communication skills.
About the job
Systems Development Engineering (SDE) at Google is a role where you manage services and systems at scale. SDEs creatively put their engineering discipline to use automating the mundane and reducing toil. We don’t just write code to fix bugs, but emphasize the development of tools and solutions that fix classes of problems. We know it’s hard to control what you can’t measure – so we focus on observability: instrumenting first, then turning data into knowledge, and finally knowledge into action. We know that the operational efficiency of Google systems, services, virtual compute environments and the operating systems that power them impact the environment, not just the bottom line. We know that working together we can do more, and that community matters.
Google brings together people with a wide variety of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives. We encourage them to collaborate, think big and take risks in a blame-free environment. We promote self-direction to work on meaningful projects, while we also strive to create an environment that provides the support and mentorship needed to learn and grow.
Together we engineer and build the infrastructure, tools, access and telemetry for systems that enable orchestration of Google-scale services. Come build things that matter.
The Google VMware Engine service enables customers running on-premises VMware workloads to seamlessly migrate to Google Cloud without having to re-architect or refactor their applications.
As a Systems Development Engineer, you will assist in launching and supporting the Google VMware Engine service and infrastructure, across 13 regions and thousands of nodes, leveraging both Google native and Google Extension Data Centers.
Google Cloud accelerates organizations’ ability to digitally transform their business with the best infrastructure, platform, industry solutions and expertise. We deliver enterprise-grade solutions that leverage Google’s cutting-edge technology – all on the cleanest cloud in the industry. Customers in more than 200 countries and territories turn to Google Cloud as their trusted partner to enable growth and solve their most critical business problems.
- Participate in on-call activities and manage the systems within the domain and work with the primary responders to help fix system issues.
- Troubleshoot technical issues, evaluate technical data, and develop recommendations for systems and services within the domain, respond to tickets/bugs within team-defined service-level objectives (SLOs), and contribute to systems and services in related domains through bug reports and consultation.
- Understand data center networking, including the use of Ethernet VPN (EVPN), Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS), Switching, and routing technologies.
- Plan or implement change management activities, fleet wide having Dell compute, Cisco data center networking and VMWare solutions.
To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other organization location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
At Google, we’re committed to building a workforce that is more representative of the users we serve and creating a culture where everyone feels like they belong. To learn more about our diversity, equity, inclusion commitments and how we’re building belonging, please visit our Belonging page for more information.
We welcome and encourage people who are expecting and/or parents-to-be to apply to this or any other role at Google.
Google is a global company and, in order to facilitate efficient collaboration and communication globally, English proficiency is a requirement for all roles.
Something looks off?