Software Engineer, Engineering Productivity, Google Nest
Google welcomes people with disabilities.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, a related technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- 5 years of coding experience in one or more of the following languages: C, C++, Java, or Python.
- Experience building test automation frameworks and tools
- Experience with tools and infrastructures development to optimize software engineering process
- Experience with data center management software development
- Ability to debug, triage, and fix program code or system issues (e.g., firmware, software, application, operational, process)
- Ability to define software architecture, components, modules, interfaces, and data for a system to satisfy specified requirements (i.e., validating for correctness, functionality, reliability, and other characteristics)
- Passion for engineering excellence
About the job
A line of code can be many things - an amazing feature, a beautiful UI, a transformative algorithm. The faster this line of code reaches millions of users, the sooner it impacts their lives. As a Software Engineer, Tools and Infrastructure, you will be at the heart of Google’s engineering process building software that empowers engineering teams to develop and deliver high quality products quickly. We are focused on solving the hardest, most interesting challenges of developing software at scale without sacrificing stability, quality, velocity or code health.
We ensure Google's success by partnering with engineering teams and developing scalable tools and infrastructure that help engineers develop, test, debug and release software quickly. We impact thousands of Googlers and billions of users by increasing the pace of product development and ensuring our products are thoroughly tested. We are advocates for code health, testability, maintainability and best practices for development and testing.
Having access to all of Google's platforms and vast compute resources provides a unique opportunity to grow as an engineer. We typically work in small, nimble teams that collaborate on common problems across products and focus areas. As a result, the exposure to this broad set of problems provides diverse technical challenges as well as accelerated career growth.
As a Software Engineer, you will build highly-scalable virtual device emulator technology to assist developer workflows in the connected device domain and develop interoperability frameworks to ensure ecosystems of our device software and partner apps work.
The Google Nest team focuses on hardware, software, and services for the home, ranging from Nest thermostats to Nest smart displays. The Google Nest team develops, designs, and develops new technologies and hardware to make users’ homes more helpful. Our mission is the helpful home: to create a home that cares for the people inside it and the world around it.
- Work with multiple teams across organizations to solve deep technical problems that enable feature teams to ship quality code.
- Take end-to-end leadership on scalable infrastructure that spans across device software, services, and apps.
- Deliver infrastructure to testing components and products based on knowledge of differences and considerations for each test phase (e.g., validity, verification, performance, reliability, usability, stress testing) and develop tests to prove out infrastructure for each of the major phases of software development.
- Generate the ideas required to solve technical problems and take full ownership of the solution.
- Build working collaborations with cross-functional peers. Identify and share opportunities and technical context that inform cross-functional efforts.
To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other organization location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
At Google, we’re committed to building a workforce that is more representative of the users we serve and creating a culture where everyone feels like they belong. To learn more about our diversity, equity, inclusion commitments and how we’re building belonging, please visit our Belonging page for more information.
We welcome and encourage people who are expecting and/or parents-to-be to apply to this or any other role at Google.
Google is a global company and, in order to facilitate efficient collaboration and communication globally, English proficiency is a requirement for all roles.
Something looks off?