Software Engineer, Cloud Backend, Google Nest
Google welcomes people with disabilities.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, a related technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- 3 years of experience in backend software development.
- Experience in one of the following coding languages such as Java or C++ or C.
- Experience working on smart home based services or cloud, or infrastructure.
- Experience with Google infrastructure, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), and open source systems.
- Experience working with cross-functional teams in a diverse team environment.
- Experience developing and working with distributed systems.
- Ability to drive cross-functional initiatives from strategy to execution.
- Experience in areas such as Internet of Things (IoT) and home automation.
About the job
Google's software engineers develop the next-generation technologies that change how billions of users connect, explore, and interact with information and one another. Our products need to handle information at massive scale, and extend well beyond web search. We're looking for engineers who bring fresh ideas from all areas, including information retrieval, distributed computing, large-scale system design, networking and data storage, security, artificial intelligence, natural language processing, UI design and mobile; the list goes on and is growing every day. As a software engineer, you will work on a specific project critical to Google’s needs with opportunities to switch teams and projects as you and our fast-paced business grow and evolve. We need our engineers to be versatile, display leadership qualities and be enthusiastic to take on new problems across the full-stack as we continue to push technology forward.
In this role, you will be responsible for scalable and performant services in the cloud that are intelligent, intuitive, reliable and cost effective.
The Google Nest team focuses on hardware, software and services offerings for the home, ranging from Nest thermostats to Nest smart displays. The Nest team researches, designs, and develops new technologies and hardware to make users’ homes more helpful. Our mission is the helpful home: to create a home that cares for the people inside it and the world around it.
- Align smart home and home automation services through technical execution across multiple Engineering teams.
- Lead the execution for smart home services including migration to Google infrastructure.
- Write robust, performant, and maintainable code.
- Contribute services to the backend architecture to enable future Nest product strategy.
- Own full software cycle from prototyping, design, development, testing, integration, debugging to product launches and collaborate with cross-functional teams including Product Management, User Experience, Engineering Productivity and Partner Engineering teams.
To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other organization location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
At Google, we’re committed to building a workforce that is more representative of the users we serve and creating a culture where everyone feels like they belong. To learn more about our diversity, equity, inclusion commitments and how we’re building belonging, please visit our Belonging page for more information.
We welcome and encourage people who are expecting and/or parents-to-be to apply to this or any other role at Google.
Google is a global company and, in order to facilitate efficient collaboration and communication globally, English proficiency is a requirement for all roles.
Something looks off?