Staff Network Test Engineer, Wide Area Network Testing
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, a related field, or equivalent practical experience.
- 10 years of experience in testing.
- Experience in handling live networks, (e.g., working in ISP, dealing customer networks), testing networking products, and deployment scenarios.
- Experience in test automation using Python or C++.
- Ability to act as a subject matter expert for the team and other Google groups on integration of routing protocols, test strategies, and Google specific technologies.
- Ability to identify and manage project priorities, challenges for network test products/releases, develop schedules and designs, and oversee designs of several test engineers/projects.
- Ability to lead testing and releases of networking products and meet target timelines.
- Ability to own project roadmaps, set project goals, oversee resources, and provide leadership with long-term objectives.
- Ability to optimize system-level or network-level design.
- Ability to anticipate scaling bottlenecks, software inefficiencies, or shifts in usage.
About the job
Our computational challenges are so big and unique we can't just buy our hardware, we've got to make it ourselves. Our Platforms Team designs and builds the hardware, software and networking technologies that power all of Google's services. As a Networking Test Engineer you make sure that our massive and growing network is operating at its peak potential. You have hands-on experience with complex networking equipment, a deep understanding of networking protocols, test design and implementation chops and a background in IP network design. It's your job to make sure Google's cutting-edge technology can perform at scale.
As a Staff Network Test Engineer, you are expected to be technically experienced and effectively own and drive complex projects.
Our team is working on Testing Google Wide Area Network products, including replicating production networks and testing future scale in a simulated/hybrid test environment, validating next generation hardware and compatibility testing with legacy products.
Behind everything our users see online is the architecture built by the Technical Infrastructure team to keep it running. From developing and maintaining our data centers to building the next generation of Google platforms, we make Google's product portfolio possible. We're proud to be our engineers' engineers and love voiding warranties by taking things apart so we can rebuild them. We keep our networks up and running, ensuring our users have the best and fastest experience possible.
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $160,000-$246,000 + bonus + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include bonus, equity, or benefits. Learn more about benefits at Google.
- Design, develop, and execute test plans for networking features, equipment, and systems.
- Design and deploy suitable testbeds for testing networking software infrastructure.
- Develop test automation and tools.
- Certify software releases for general use. Manage feature and resource priorities for a release (e.g., deciding priority of test cases and evaluating release-stoppers).
- Generate ideas to solve complex and/or open-ended problems with multiple approaches to reach an optimal solution.
To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other organization location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
At Google, we’re committed to building a workforce that is more representative of the users we serve and creating a culture where everyone feels like they belong. To learn more about our diversity, equity, inclusion commitments and how we’re building belonging, please visit our Belonging page for more information.
We welcome and encourage people who are expecting and/or parents-to-be to apply to this or any other role at Google.
Google is a global company and, in order to facilitate efficient collaboration and communication globally, English proficiency is a requirement for all roles.
Something looks off?