Network Engineer, Wide Area Network
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Network Engineering, a related technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- 10 years of experience in networking environments.
- Experience with multi-site network design and operations.
- Experience in fundamental networking technologies and protocols (e.g., BGP, OSPF, ARP, Ethernet, DHCP, IPSec, GRE, Wi-Fi standards, routing protocols, DNS, Radius, 802.1x).
- Experience with configuring network routers and switches.
- Experience with troubleshooting networking devices.
- Experience coding in Python or Go.
- Knowledge of Layer2 and layer 3 networking protocols.
- Knowledge of network device control plane and management plane with one or more network device operating system.
About the job
Google is proud to boast a network that provides service to millions of Internet users around the world. The Network Engineering team is responsible for operating that network reliably and at scale. As a member of the team, you have a direct impact on design and feature enhancements to keep our systems running smoothly. You also ensure that network operations are safe and efficient by monitoring network performance, coordinating planned maintenance, adjusting hardware components and responding to network connectivity issues. Google's complex network generates a constant stream of challenges which require you to continually be innovative with an evolving set of technologies. Keeping the network reliable ensures that our users stay connected with our suite of applications, products and services.
In this role, you will be responsible for delivering the networking devices. You will develop and own a rapidly evolving infrastructure that abstracts a select set of cutting-edge Wide Area Network (WAN) devices to the base building blocks of Google Global Networking (GGN), through functional abstractions and service-centric approach. You will work with multiple networking vendors to know their leading edge products and features, and contribute towards GGN growth, dependability, and resiliency.
Behind everything our users see online is the architecture built by the Technical Infrastructure team to keep it running. From developing and maintaining our data centers to building the next generation of Google platforms, we make Google's product portfolio possible. We're proud to be our engineers' engineers and love voiding warranties by taking things apart so we can rebuild them. We keep our networks up and running, ensuring our users have the best and fastest experience possible.
- Develop network monitoring solutions for hyper scale global network spanning hundreds of locations and service providers.
- Understand the monitoring functionalities and their limitations in network devices and create a monitoring solution within those constraints.
- Develop software layer to abstract out device-specific behaviors and provide an implementation agnostic telemetry dataset in a timely and reliable manner.
- Troubleshoot network device configuration and connectivity issues.
- Monitor software updates in the production network.
To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other organization location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
At Google, we’re committed to building a workforce that is more representative of the users we serve and creating a culture where everyone feels like they belong. To learn more about our diversity, equity, inclusion commitments and how we’re building belonging, please visit our Belonging page for more information.
We welcome and encourage people who are expecting and/or parents-to-be to apply to this or any other role at Google.
Google is a global company and, in order to facilitate efficient collaboration and communication globally, English proficiency is a requirement for all roles.
Something looks off?