Software Engineering Manager, Android Growth
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, a related technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience with technical management of software developers and architects.
- Experience designing and implementing distributed systems, Android, and mobile operating systems in general.
- Experience programming in one or more of the following: Java, C++, or Kotlin.
About the job
Like Google's own ambitions, the work of a Software Engineer (SWE) goes way beyond just Search. SWE Managers have not only the technical expertise to take on and provide technical leadership to major projects, but also manage a team of engineers. You not only optimize your own code but make sure engineers are able to optimize theirs. As a SWE Manager you manage your project goals, contribute to product strategy and help develop your team. SWE teams work all across the company, in areas such as information retrieval, artificial intelligence, natural language processing, distributed computing, large-scale system design, networking, security, data compression, user interface design; the list goes on and is growing every day. Operating with scale and speed, our exceptional software engineers are just getting started -- and as a manager, you guide the way.
As a Software Engineering Manager, you will manage an engineering team on Android Growth based in Nairobi, Kenya. You will also be working with the Android team in Singapore, India, London, and a co-located team of Product Managers (PM), User Experience Designers and Researchers (UX), and other functions like marketing and business development in Nairobi. You will have an opportunity to replicate a startup experience, within Google, and impact a large consumer base directly. You will collaborate with the broader Android organization and the ecosystem, and drive personal growth. This role is a key part of our first ever Africa Development Center.
The Platforms and Ecosystems product area encompasses Google's various computing software platforms across environments (desktop, mobile, applications). The products provide enterprises, and ultimately end users, the ability to utilize and manage their services at scale. We build innovative and compelling software products—from apps to TVs, from laptops to phones—that have an impact on people’s lives across the world.
- Develop the strategy, direction, technical, and product roadmap with Program Managers for Users, Developers, and Partners in growth markets.
- Develop the team including hiring, mentoring, team organization, equitable distribution of work, and performance management.
- Set up processes for effective execution and communication with the Technical Program Managers.
- Collaborate with different roles: Android Partner Engineering, Developer Relations, and other functions.
- Take initiative to code, train the team, and push forward projects, when needed.
To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other organization location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
At Google, we’re committed to building a workforce that is more representative of the users we serve and creating a culture where everyone feels like they belong. To learn more about our diversity, equity, inclusion commitments and how we’re building belonging, please visit our Belonging page for more information.
We welcome and encourage people who are expecting and/or parents-to-be to apply to this or any other role at Google.
Google is a global company and, in order to facilitate efficient collaboration and communication globally, English proficiency is a requirement for all roles.