Software Engineer, Storage Systems
Google welcomes people with disabilities.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, a related technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- 5 years of experience in system software development (e.g., firmware, BIOS, BSP, Linux kernel, BMC, device drivers, and system libraries).
- Experience in Unix/Linux environments.
- Experience coding in C/C++.
- Master's degree or PhD in Computer Science, or a related technical field.
- Experience in Solid-State Drive (SSD)/NAND or Hard Disk Drive (HDD) based storage technologies, interfaces (e.g., NVMe, SATA/SAS), and security standards (TCG).
- Experience in developer operations, release management, integration testing, and open source development.
- Experience in storage software stack with Linux or firmware in storage controllers (e.g., RAID/AFA/NAS).
- Experience in large-scale and secure fleet management of servers and components.
- Experience in Python and scripting languages (e.g., shell).
About the job
Google's software engineers develop the next-generation technologies that change how billions of users connect, explore, and interact with information and one another. Our products need to handle information at massive scale, and extend well beyond web search. We're looking for engineers who bring fresh ideas from all areas, including information retrieval, distributed computing, large-scale system design, networking and data storage, security, artificial intelligence, natural language processing, UI design and mobile; the list goes on and is growing every day. As a software engineer, you will work on a specific project critical to Google’s needs with opportunities to switch teams and projects as you and our fast-paced business grow and evolve. We need our engineers to be versatile, display leadership qualities and be enthusiastic to take on new problems across the full-stack as we continue to push technology forward.
Platforms Storage teams design and build storage solutions for all of Google's services. Everything from Gmail messages to YouTube videos, Web Search indexes, and Google Cloud customers' data, all ultimately reside securely on storage devices built by Platforms Storage teams. In this role, you will innovate storage solutions that are disruptive and impactful across Google's services.
Behind everything our users see online is the architecture built by the Technical Infrastructure team to keep it running. From developing and maintaining our data centers to building the next generation of Google platforms, we make Google's product portfolio possible. We're proud to be our engineers' engineers and love voiding warranties by taking things apart so we can rebuild them. We keep our networks up and running, ensuring our users have the best and fastest experience possible.
- Design and implement the system software for storage systems to maximize the performance, reliability, security, and capacity.
- Create and implement tools for automating diagnostics, performance evaluation, and reliability assurance for storage components and systems.
- Develop and implement solutions for collecting and analyzing metrics for storage products in the cloud infrastructure to derive actionable insights.
- Collaborate with internal and external partners to plan and execute the engineering programs, including product development and productivity improvements.
- Contribute innovative ideas and skills to the team.
To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other organization location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
At Google, we’re committed to building a workforce that is more representative of the users we serve and creating a culture where everyone feels like they belong. To learn more about our diversity, equity, inclusion commitments and how we’re building belonging, please visit our Belonging page for more information.
We welcome and encourage people who are expecting and/or parents-to-be to apply to this or any other role at Google.
Google is a global company and, in order to facilitate efficient collaboration and communication globally, English proficiency is a requirement for all roles.