Senior Software Engineer, Embedded Systems, Automotive Virtualization
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 5 years of experience with software development in one or more programming languages, and with data structures/algorithms.
- 3 years of experience testing, maintaining, or launching software products, and 1 year of experience with software design and architecture.
- Master's degree or PhD in Computer Science or related technical field.
- 3 years of experience working with embedded operating systems.
- 1 year of experience in a technical leadership role.
- Experience developing accessible technologies.
- Experience with virtualization and multimedia technologies.
About the job
The Android Automotive OS (AAOS) team’s mission is to provide a safe and seamless connected experience in every car. We are making this a reality by providing the leading embedded platform for applications and services that brings cars into the global Android ecosystem. In particular, we aim to shift the automotive industry from traditional one-time feature deployment to continuous delivery of software applications and services.
Automotive Virtualization is a team of system engineers who are moving virtualization from the data center into the car. Modern cars are rapidly transforming into full-fledged connected computers on wheels with increased compute power, neural network accelerators, cameras, sensors, and wireless connectivity. Software defined vehicles will depend on interconnected services that preserve privacy, safety and security, and virtualization is key to enabling all of these goals, and more.
As a Senior Software engineer on the team, you will design, develop, test, deploy, maintain, and enhance software solutions. In this role, you will design and implement VirtIO specifications, kernel drivers, Android framework and platform features, including system services, reference HAL implementations, and APIs to enable performant and standard-based Android Automotive OS deployments. You will collaborate with automotive manufacturers and vendors on scoping, planning, designing, and implementing features. You'll collaborate internally within Google and with external open source communities.
Automotive industry executives say there will be more change in their business in the next 5 years than they have seen in the last 50 years.
The Android Auto team collaborate with vehicle manufacturers to develop and deliver on this massive opportunity, building on a proven embedded platform to create a leading Assistant-powered, navigation, entertainment, and communication vehicle system, which will be delivered to specialized people-moving devices.
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $157,000-$235,000 + bonus + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include bonus, equity, or benefits. Learn more about benefits at Google.
- Maintain expertise in industry trends with respect to virtualization and automotive.
- Lead design and development of efficient, maintainable, and scalable standards for virtualization of audio and video technologies.
- Bring up new versions of Android and of partner hypervisor images in the cloud, on reference hardware, and in real vehicles as applicable.
- In collaboration with cross-functional teams, measure and enhance the quality and performance of Android graphics in virtualized environments.
- Lead design and implementation of efficient mechanisms to abstract Android HALs into virtualized devices that can be deployed and implemented by partners at scale.
To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other organization location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
At Google, we’re committed to building a workforce that is more representative of the users we serve and creating a culture where everyone feels like they belong. To learn more about our diversity, equity, inclusion commitments and how we’re building belonging, please visit our Belonging page for more information.
We welcome and encourage people who are expecting and/or parents-to-be to apply to this or any other role at Google.
Google is a global company and, in order to facilitate efficient collaboration and communication globally, English proficiency is a requirement for all roles.
Something looks off?