Systems Development Engineer, Google Cloud, Core Compute Analytics
Note: Google’s hybrid workplace includes remote and in-office roles. By applying to this position you will have an opportunity to share your preferred working location from the following:
In-office locations: Seattle, WA, USA.
Remote location(s): United States.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience with operating systems.
- Experience with troubleshooting across Linux or Windows networking.
- Experience with GoLang, Python, Bash, Powershell.
- Experience working with open source communities.
- Excellent partner management, follow-through, resourcefulness, attention to detail, and verbal and written communication skills.
About the job
Systems Development Engineering (SDE) at Google is a role where you manage services and systems at scale. SDEs creatively put their engineering discipline to use automating the mundane and reducing toil. We don’t just write code to fix bugs, but emphasize the development of tools and solutions that fix classes of problems. We know it’s hard to control what you can’t measure – so we focus on observability: instrumenting first, then turning data into knowledge, and finally knowledge into action. We know that the operational efficiency of Google systems, services, virtual compute environments and the operating systems that power them impact the environment, not just the bottom line. We know that working together we can do more, and that community matters.
Google brings together people with a wide variety of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives. We encourage them to collaborate, think big and take risks in a blame-free environment. We promote self-direction to work on meaningful projects, while we also strive to create an environment that provides the support and mentorship needed to learn and grow.
Together we engineer and build the infrastructure, tools, access and telemetry for systems that enable orchestration of Google-scale services. Come build things that matter.
As a Systems Development Engineer, you are responsible for making sure that Google Compute Engine (GCE) virtual machines support all the operating systems. You will partner with external operating system communities and vendors to package and distribute base images that have been customized to run efficiently on Google Cloud. You make sure that a customer's existing choice of operating system is never a blocker to adopting GCE.
Google Cloud accelerates organizations’ ability to digitally transform their business with the best infrastructure, platform, industry solutions and expertise. We deliver enterprise-grade solutions that leverage Google’s cutting-edge technology – all on the cleanest cloud in the industry. Customers in more than 200 countries and territories turn to Google Cloud as their trusted partner to enable growth and solve their most critical business problems.
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $114,000-$167,000 + bonus + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include bonus, equity, or benefits. Learn more about benefits at Google.
- Participate in on-call activities and manage the systems within the domain and work with the primary responders to help fix system issues.
- Troubleshoot technical issues, evaluate technical data, and develop recommendations for systems and services within the domain, respond to tickets/bugs within team-defined service-level objectives (SLOs), and contribute to systems and services in related domains through bug reports and consultation.
- Work with customers on defining distributed systems requirements, testing procedures, and proposing solutions.
- Partner heavily with external communities, partners, and customers.
- Build and maintain operating system images for standard Operating Systems (e.g., Ubuntu, Debian, Windows, RHEL, etc.).
To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other organization location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
At Google, we’re committed to building a workforce that is more representative of the users we serve and creating a culture where everyone feels like they belong. To learn more about our diversity, equity, inclusion commitments and how we’re building belonging, please visit our Belonging page for more information.
We welcome and encourage people who are expecting and/or parents-to-be to apply to this or any other role at Google.
Google is a global company and, in order to facilitate efficient collaboration and communication globally, English proficiency is a requirement for all roles.
Something looks off?