Network Engineer, Global Network Operations
- Bachelor's degree in Network Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience in Synchronous Digital Hierarchy (SDH) and IP technologies and network protocols (e.g., MPLS, IPv6, multicast, OSPF, BGP, IS-IS).
- Experience coding in Python/Go.
- Experience in networking (e.g., TCP/IP, routing, VPNs, VLANs, peering, load balancing, etc.). Strong understanding of network operations
- Experience working in a customer-facing role at an ISP, carrier, content network, or Content Delivery Network (CDN).
- Experience in cloud networking (e.g., VPC, Security Group, Access List, stateful/stateless firewall, etc.).
- Experience in network management systems or network operations.
- Understanding of Linux server environments, cloud computing, network design and deployment, and managing large-scale infrastructure.
- Understanding of Data Structures and Algorithms.
About the job
Google is proud to boast a network that provides service to millions of Internet users around the world. The Network Engineering team is responsible for operating that network reliably and at scale. As a member of the team, you have a direct impact on design and feature enhancements to keep our systems running smoothly. You also ensure that network operations are safe and efficient by monitoring network performance, coordinating planned maintenance, adjusting hardware components and responding to network connectivity issues. Google's complex network generates a constant stream of challenges which require you to continually be innovative with an evolving set of technologies. Keeping the network reliable ensures that our users stay connected with our suite of applications, products and services.
In this role, you will help develop Google interface to the Internet. Our core work includes conceptualizing, prototyping, testing, integrating, staging, piloting, maintaining, and decommissioning the fundamental network architectures and software systems relating to the internet edge of Google global network.
Behind everything our users see online is the architecture built by the Technical Infrastructure team to keep it running. From developing and maintaining our data centers to building the next generation of Google platforms, we make Google's product portfolio possible. We're proud to be our engineers' engineers and love voiding warranties by taking things apart so we can rebuild them. We keep our networks up and running, ensuring our users have the best and fastest experience possible.
- Provide operational support for Google Cloud Platform (GCP) customers and peers. Help customers resolve issues with network services, and assist with troubleshooting issues with connectivity and performance.
- Validate and test customer configurations in an interop lab environment. Write workflow automation to improve the customer experience.
- Lead improvements in documentation, playbooks, and training for support organizations and Networks-on-Chip.
- Drive process improvements and automate turn-up and service delivery.
- Participate in on-call rotation for escalated issues.
To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other organization location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
At Google, we’re committed to building a workforce that is more representative of the users we serve and creating a culture where everyone feels like they belong. To learn more about our diversity, equity, inclusion commitments and how we’re building belonging, please visit our Belonging page for more information.
We welcome and encourage people who are expecting and/or parents-to-be to apply to this or any other role at Google.
Google is a global company and, in order to facilitate efficient collaboration and communication globally, English proficiency is a requirement for all roles.
Something looks off?