Data Center Facilities Technician
- Associate's degree, trade school certification in a technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- 2 years of experience at journeyman or technician level in a critical environment.
- Ability to work non-standard hours including weekends.
- Ability to lift and move 50 lbs of equipment; work on platforms, ladders, and raised floors.
- Experience at a data center, hospital, or power plant.
- Knowledge of the electrical and mechanical systems used in a data center environment, including Feeders, Transformers, Generators, Switchgear, UPS systems, ATS/STS units, PDU/PMM units, Chillers, Air handling units, and CRAC units.
- Ability to communicate with contractors who perform maintenance or upgrade work on these systems.
- Ability to learn and address issues as they arise.
About the job
The Data Center team designs and operates some of the most sophisticated electrical engineering, mechanical engineering and HVAC systems in the world. Facilities Technicians at Google data centers operate, monitor and support physical facilities conditions. Some of these duties will include heating and cooling of air and water, power supply, generators, UPS systems, electrical distribution and control and monitoring systems. You regularly help inspect, maintain and repair various data center systems such as piping and non-critical electrical or mechanical system components). You provide daily assistance to senior technicians as you read blueprints/schematics, conduct tours of systems and assess their working order.
As an advocate for best practices, you develop creative approaches to reducing operational costs while improving overall data center efficiency. You ensure that environmental and safety standards are consistently met, identifying problems and making repairs quickly. In emergency situations or abnormal conditions, you manage data center performance issues and outages to minimize the recovery time from failures.
The Data Center team operates server, storage, and networking systems. Our teams ensure that our customer service level agreements and availability goals are met while maintaining environmental and safety standards, at scale.In this role, you will operate, monitor, and support physical facilities conditions with outstanding safety and availability, including heating and cooling air and water, power supply, generators, UPS systems, electrical distribution and control, and monitoring systems. You will help inspect, maintain, and repair various data center systems, read blueprints/schematics, conduct tours of systems, and assess their working order.
Behind everything our users see online is the architecture built by the Technical Infrastructure team to keep it running. From developing and maintaining our data centers to building the next generation of Google platforms, we make Google's product portfolio possible. We're proud to be our engineers' engineers and love voiding warranties by taking things apart so we can rebuild them. We keep our networks up and running, ensuring our users have the best and fastest experience possible.
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $77,000-$110,000 + bonus + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include bonus, equity, or benefits. Learn more about benefits at Google.
- Operate, monitor, maintain, and respond to abnormal conditions in the data center facilities systems and equipment.
- Inspect, maintain, and repair various data center systems such as piping and non-critical electrical or mechanical system components.
- Provide daily assistance to technicians as you read blueprints/schematics, conduct tours of systems, and assess their working order.
- Own the up-time and maintenance of water pumps and treatment systems, HVAC, UPS, generators, electrical distribution, and Control and Monitoring Systems.
- Develop creative approaches to reducing operational costs, whilst improving efficiencies.
To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other organization location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
At Google, we’re committed to building a workforce that is more representative of the users we serve and creating a culture where everyone feels like they belong. To learn more about our diversity, equity, inclusion commitments and how we’re building belonging, please visit our Belonging page for more information.
We welcome and encourage people who are expecting and/or parents-to-be to apply to this or any other role at Google.
Google is a global company and, in order to facilitate efficient collaboration and communication globally, English proficiency is a requirement for all roles.
Something looks off?